Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need to ballance tires???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:49 PM
PAVALKER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
There's folks on here that don't bother balancing and don't have problems. If they get an occasional wobbler, they get it balanced. There's folks that use dyna beads, there's folks that use homemade stands or cheap commercial stands, there's folks on here that change their own tires and then bring them in for balancing, there's folks that take the wheels off the bike and bring them in and let dealer change and balance, and finally there's folks that let the dealer do the whole thing......pick an option.
As Dawg stated, there are many options... but many recommend having the tires balanced... afterall you are only riding on 2 of em. I have changed my own, balanced my own using jack stands and weights, have dyna beads now and have even recently read where "RideOn" Tire Sealant dynamically balances tires and provides puncture protection (do not mix dyna beads and ride on tho). And once you add Ride On.... do not attempt to balance the tire. It sounds like a great Tire Protection System...... and have heard good things about it.

Here it is ... http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp

Old 12-30-2009, 11:56 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PAVALKER
As Dawg stated, there are many options... but many recommend having the tires balanced... afterall you are only riding on 2 of em. I have changed my own, balanced my own using jack stands and weights, have dyna beads now and have even recently read where "RideOn" Tire Sealant dynamically balances tires and provides puncture protection (do not mix dyna beads and ride on tho). And once you add Ride On.... do not attempt to balance the tire. It sounds like a great Tire Protection System...... and have heard good things about it.

Here it is ... http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp
I agree. I think I'll put the Ride-on in the car tire I'm putting on the Night Train. Good extra insurance since it will have more rubber on the ground than a MC tire.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:58 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mount my own tires then have them balanced at a friends shop!!!

Old 12-31-2009, 01:25 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There probably are guys who never balance their tires but it will not be me. Attention to small details is important.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 AM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

If you balance 4 tires on a vehicle, why would you not balance ONLY 2 TIRES ON A MOTORCYCLE? How much more CRITICAL is it, to do 2 tires over 4!!!

Old 12-31-2009, 05:37 AM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thumbs up to the dyno beads

Old 12-31-2009, 05:53 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Dyna Beads.....Hands down.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:14 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,937 Likes on 3,551 Posts

I take mine off the bike myself an let the indy mount and balance them for $15 a piece...Usually it's just the rear since i am about 4 to 1 on rear to front. He bubble balances them...no issues up to now after 42k miles and 6 tires.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:34 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,838 Likes on 1,080 Posts

And for those who don't know or aren't sure, unbalanced tires don't wobble, they hop and/or bounce.It's the force of the discrepancies going around on an axis multiplied by the centrifical forces applied. Wobbles are something alltogether different.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:44 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
And for those who don't know or aren't sure, unbalanced tires don't wobble, they hop and/or bounce.It's the force of the discrepancies going around on an axis multiplied by the centrifical forces applied. Wobbles are something alltogether different.
Exactly right. And I might add, wobbles come from untrue wheels. In the case of spoke type wheels, having too tight or too loose spokes will cause wobbling and are checked with a dial indicator. How smooth a ride do you want?

Quick Reply: Do you need to ballance tires???