General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nuvi 855 GPS

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nuvi 855 GPS

Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with the Nuvi 855 on a bike?

Old 12-31-2009, 12:05 AM
PAVALKER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a NUVI 660 and use it on either of my bikes, my truck etc. The NUVI series is not waterproof (at least mine isn't) but if you carry a baggie you will be safe. I use a RAM mount and have a 4GB SD card with loads of MP3 music in.... either use earbuds or plug into the aux port of the radio. Sometimes sun glare will wash out the screen a bit, but tilt it down and it is ok. They also have a visor for it to help with that. I recommend a firm mount... I use RAM Mounts for the GPS.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Nuvi 765T, with a RAM mount. Love it. Works fine on the bike, either remove it or put a sandwich bag over it when it is raining. I know a guy with a Nuvi 750 that rides all the time in the rain without any protection for it, and it works just fine. Not sure if I'd chance that though.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior

I'm gonna try the 780. Yea I'm not concerned about the rain thing, sandwich bag will work just fine. For the savings over the "waterproof" models I'm surprised people would pay the extra.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:58 AM
Dragan
Tourer

The Nuvi 500/550 IS waterproof...all other Nuvi models are not. I have a 550 with a RAM mount, love it. works well, weather isn't an issue, and I bought it as a refurb. unit from Garmin at 1/3 the cost of a Zumo. for the difference in price, I can do without Bluetooth.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior

I think most all nuvis are waterproof. Either from Garmin or through creativity of the end user. Some like the sandwich bag. Others, myself included like this.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:58 PM
tstirnweis
Stage II

I just hardwired a Nuvi 765T onto my softail. I can't wait for the snow to stop so I can use it.

I am not concerned about the unit not being waterproof as I intend to use the "baggie" or "pocket" approach if I get caught in the rain.

What I am concerned with is that the mini USB connection is wired into my lighting circut and I want some type of weatherproof boot to prevent water from getting into the male plug and blowing the fuse. Any suggestions?

Old 01-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tstirnweis
I just hardwired a Nuvi 765T onto my softail. I can't wait for the snow to stop so I can use it.

I am not concerned about the unit not being waterproof as I intend to use the "baggie" or "pocket" approach if I get caught in the rain.

What I am concerned with is that the mini USB connection is wired into my lighting circut and I want some type of weatherproof boot to prevent water from getting into the male plug and blowing the fuse. Any suggestions?
A fuse is a must, fairly low amp (so as to blow quickly).
In your gps line, before the lamp circuit. Better if you had a seperate circuit for the gps.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:10 PM
moondog99
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a nuvi 855 and like it. It does all I need it to do and has a large screen that is easy to view. I would buy a glare visor it will help. I bought mine off of ebay for around $13. Took me a while to figure out how to download routes onto the unit but once I figured it out it is quite easy.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:19 PM
tstirnweis
Stage II

That is a good idea of putting a second fuse downstream of the first one.

I am tapped into the accessory circut that has a 15 amp fuse, not the lighting circut. But your suggestion still makes sense.

I think I'll buy an assortment of fuses (starting at the lowest I can buy) and see how high I need to go before they stop blowing out. The fuse in Garmins's cigarette lighter power cord looks like it says .3A/250VP.

I still would perfer some type of cap for the mini USB plug.

Last edited by tstirnweis; 01-03-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Nuvi 855 GPS