General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's all open a Harley Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Schu can pony up the $2m, I'll sell the T-shirts.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:10 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked into a Buffalo Wild Wings franchise about 6 years ago when they were getting going on their expansion because I really liked their approach to the wings/sports bar business. They had the same requirements and lilled that idea in it's tracks. If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't be working!!!

Old 12-28-2009, 07:10 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

..... I'll run the Get Yur Pic Took Both

Old 12-28-2009, 07:24 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=schumacher;6016073]
Originally Posted by rocstar50

yeh, I got that much in loose change around here

Old 12-28-2009, 08:48 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is very old news, but the present truth is that the MoCo won't be opening any "New" dealerships(in the states) any time soon. They are in the process of restructuring they way they presently do business with their current dealerships to hopefully keep them around. True: It is a fact that you may see many more dealerships close. When dealerships close it makes the brand look bad, so there isn't much chance you'll see any new ones.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

You can have what's in my wallet.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Okay. I have the liquid part covered. Now I need a few partners to cover the rest so we can start.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:25 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
That's only the tip of the iceberg. You still have to have a resume' that proves mucho business experience (not necessarily with bikes).

I knew one prominent local Dealership (name with held intentionally) that was owned for years with a good reputation, very profitable the whole time, the parents died and the son inherited it - but was not able to keep it because he had a felony on his record. Harley yanked the franchise. (The felony is why I with held the name, I know the guy).

Then there was Harry Molnar's dealership, Hammond Indiana. Yanked it from him because he refused to upgrade to all the new modern chit. He couldn't understand why his old building with the yellowed tile wasn't sufficient. Sold plenty enough bikes. Just didn't seem fair, nor sensible to him.

Point being, just cuz you have the money - that only means that you have a "chance" at the privilege of owning a franchise.
No felons allowed (bye-bye half this board), and no amateur idiots (only experienced idiots).
Faast Ed is correct.... our local dealership recently started (about a year ago) was something an extremely business savvy couple competed for.....and even in this economy they're doing quite well....that's where I bought the FXD, at a good price, they did EXACTLY what they said they were gonna do, and they sold 3 other bikes the same day....with no pressure, no games, and the owners that work the floor just like everybody else.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe if we all pool our fund together we could afford one, here is my

Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

a few years ago when Krispy Kreme donuts opened their first store in canada i looked into the franchise requirements . it was more than the harley requirements quoted in the original post , and all KK sells is DONUTS !!! (as far as i can tell they still only have one store in ontario , not exactly a huge success , meanwhile you can't walk 4 blocks in downtown toronto with out passing 2 Tim Horton's , a Starbucks and a Second Cup . and then there's the independant coffee places , and the ones that roast their own beans etc etc ) i'm not complaining , i love coffee !

Quick Reply: Let's all open a Harley Dealership