General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
ALWAYS
8.39%
MOST OF THE TIME
20.00%
SOME OF THE TIME
17.42%
WHEN I THINK ABOUT IT
3.23%
ONCE IN A WHILE
18.06%
FIRST RIDE OF THE SEASON
1.29%
LAST RIDE OF THE SEASON
0%
ONLY ON LONG RIDES
15.48%
DOES ANY ONE REALLY DO IT?
7.74%
ARE YOU KIDDING????
8.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Do you really do a " PRE RIDE CHECK? "

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Do you really do a " PRE RIDE CHECK? "

I choose sometimes, but actually I probably do at least parts of the list every time.

1-check fuel -- Always check how many miles since last tank so I know if I need gas now or not
2-adjust mirrors -- On the road if required.
3-check oil level -- Have checked the cold level a couple of times...usually do it when I get gas or once a week.
4-check controls, brakes, throttle, clutch, shifter. -- Check all that as I back her out and fire her up (on a hill so brakes are always tested)
5- check steering for smoothness. -- I check to see if the handle bars move every time guarenteed (always tip bike up and straighten handle bars before putting in gear....seen people that forget to unlock forks and not straighten up [:@])
6- check tire condition cracks, balance, etc. ( how do i check the balance before i ride -- good point! Check for cracks once in a while -- I have new tires they better not be cracked!!!)
7- check tire pressure -- I have a good feel for the pressure ...I don't check every time but if I feel even the slightest squish I do check. (Makes Hubby mad because he tells me they are fine and I know they are not...usually I'm right and he has to haul out the compressor. Matter a fact did that just last week )
8- check ALL electrical equipment, switchs, stop lamps turn signals , horn, etc. -- on the road or starting up
9- check for gas, oil, or hydraulic fluid leaks. --Yes, I usually scan the floor (old habit)
10- check belt adjustment. -- That's why I have a mechanic.
11- service motorcycle as necessary. --Duh!!!!!

Old 07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
harold holbert
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do a lighting check, and a throttle, lever check only. I check tire pressure only on long rides. Now I may be crazy, but I do not check the oil at all. If I do not see a puddle under it when I get on, or see it or smell it when I am riding, I do not worry about it. If it checks low at my next sevice, I may start checking it more, but with the bike only having 3200 miles on it, why worry.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:54 PM
paul_scooter
Cruiser

All eleven check points are copied out of my book except for the parenthesis. I agree, i think HD is just covering their butt from a lawsuit. After reading the replys i think i'll do a walk around looking at tires and for oil leaks on the ground and on the bike. I like the idea of checking the bars incase i lock them and forget. I also like the idea of checking the oil when i fill the gas tank, thanks for ideas. I'll try to do a comprehensive check once a month like you said, good idea.

How can you spin a harly tires to check for nails with out jacking it up everytime, i'm too lazy to do that.

I'm surprised 18% of the people do the whole checklist everytime, I'm too lazy for that too.

Thanks for all the great ideas, i feel better not going through the check list now.
Paul

Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not take off in an aircraft without doing a preflight and the same applies to my scoot. In my cage I can coast to the side of the road. I may not have that option on the bike or in an airplane.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't do the full check list but I do check brakes (and brake lights at same time), turn signals, head and tail lights, and mirrors before taking off. Although I don't do a preasure check on the tires every time I do look at the tires before mounting to see that they at least are inflated.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Islander
Tourer

Some of it most of the time, most of it all of the time.

Check fuel: it's too easy not to do it.
Check tires/pressure: ditto
Check all lights/horn: ditto
Check brakes: ditto
Check steering freedom: ditto
Check shifter/linkage/footpegs: ditto

I look at it like this: I have to sit there a few minutes to warm it up. So, I can either sit there like a bump on a log [8D],
or do something productive and conducive to my safety and enjoyment.

Just my $0.02

[IMG]local://upfiles/6723/D067E06E7F534CFA896AB18D61EC59C4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tire pressure is easy. I use a bike pump with a gauge on it. only takes a second, and the tire is small enough that a bike pump works much better than a compressor.

oil i check weekly since its never lost any.
horn i use daily in san francisco, so nothing there.
Tires I need to check more. damn big fenders make it a pain.

About the only thing I check every time is the lights and the tire condition.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

I will start doing one. Never had to before because.. well, I didn't have a bike ;-)

I did notice a few drops of hydro fluid under it today after it sitting for a week and a day. Will need to get a set of Torx and tighten her up. Now if Harley would have included a manual on this used bike..[:@]

Old 07-17-2006, 11:05 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I check some of it all the time, and all of it some of the time.

Seriously, I had a front tire with a slow leak. Once I rode out without checking and the front end felt "heavy". The tire did not look low at all because they are so stiff, but it only had 19 lbs! Even after getting it fixed, I check it frequently now.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:14 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check my tires most all the time, eyeing everything too, usually check my fluids every other day.

Quick Reply: Do you really do a " PRE RIDE CHECK? "