General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used bike from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Hd_hubub
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used bike from dealer

I've been looking for a late model RK or RKC at several dealers in my area and have noticed that there isn't much of a spread from a new '10 MSRP ($16,999) to a '07 or '08 bike with 10k to 20k miles. The used bikes are basically stock.

From talking to friends and following this forum, it seems that one can buy a new bike at MSRP and have the dealer throw in $1,500 to $2,000 worth of aftermarket goodies.

If anyone has purchased a used bike from a dealer, were you able to really push them down on the price, or is it a better strategy to load up on the aftermarket stuff and have them added into the price?

Thanks for the input.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:10 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

havent bought used one from dealer, lately the ones I've seen are usually at least stg1..
3yrs ago used ones where few and far between....looked for 3months in 07 and I couldn't find one...

Old 12-26-2009, 10:20 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Try to find a used bike from a private seller. In most cases, you will be able to get a better deal then a used trade in or consignment bike at a dealership.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Coolbreeze
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got mine....

From Tilley Harley Davidson in Statesville. It was used when I got it, from a fellow Marine to be exact. The salesman was great! I got an extended warranty to boot (eith a wheel and tire package lol!). My bike, although being someone elses original purchase has been nothing other than great! This dude even recognizes me when I walk in there, after several months!
Just be sure to listen real careful when they fire it up the first time for ya! You never really know what you are gettin into. Mine was an extremely pleasant experience, but the next man in line may think different.
I would shred anyone to bits over my bike! I love it!

Old 12-26-2009, 10:44 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the private seller. Bikes are worth next to nothing when you trade 'em in, but when it comes time to buy the used bike, they mystically seem to appreciate to near new prices. Big money in the used bike (and auto) dept.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:45 PM
SFORAFF
Advanced

Keep an eye on Craigslist, your chances are just as good if not better since your dealing with a fellow rider not a salesperson. Just make sure you are provided with general service documentation/verification. Do your due dilligence and also bring along a experience hog owner to kick the tires. Bying used is a crap shoot unless your buying a certified used bike from Harley themselves. Those have some sort of warranty.

Last edited by SFORAFF; 12-27-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:02 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Never mind their "asking" what counts is your offer. Decide what the price is on the year that you want and check KBB, Edmonds, Nada and others to what the range on the bike is. Look in the papers for what private sellers are asking.

When you finished the research, go to the dealer with the used one that you've settled on and make a offer and advise that it is your best offer. Walk if they don't accept it.

Have your financing in place from your bank or CU. Buying used it is best to make cash offers.

My last bike was with my trade in. The dealer balked at my offer and stood firm until I told him "Here is the title to mine and my check book for the balance. He accepted the offer.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:37 PM
PaFatboy
Tourer

I found this 05' Roadglide with:20k miles, lowers,bag guards,thigh burn guards,Stage I w/ SE mufflers, helmet lock, highway pegs, windshield chrome and a couple pieces of engine chrome. They were asking 14.5k I didn't think that was out of the question pricing.

I got 12k for my 05' Fatboy, though it WAS loaded up with the Willie G Skull collection, even the wheels. That was 1k more than my local dealer offered me 2yrs ago on a new RG.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:40 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As many have said, you're probably going to get a better deal from a private seller than dealer.
Dealers take a lot of bikes in on consignment but they still mark them up to make a profit.
Craigslist is a good place to look for deals, especially with the economy the way it is now.

Just my .02,

Krusr

Old 12-27-2009, 04:54 AM
Unkwaldo
Intermediate

I agree with the rest above, if your ego can deal with the bike not being new, you can get some great deals and a lot of extras already installed on the bike.
Trick is having the time to look around and wait for the rite deal. You will feel 10 times smarter than purchasing a new one.
On the other hand, it is nice to purchase them new also, shop dealers and wait for year end clearances.

Quick Reply: Buying a used bike from dealer