Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the Dyna and V machines considered mainstream Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Dyna is very smooth at highway speeds. It does shake at idle, which I like.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:51 AM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Harley has been selling Dyna's for many years now like the Super Glide ect.
Now the V-Rod, that's a bit different. Great bike height for shorter folks and the ladies, but you got to think about the 2.5 gallon gas tank. You can't go very far before having to stop for gas.
The V-rod after 2007 has a 4.5 gallon tank. Range is no longer an issue with V-rods, and if you buy a used with the smaller tank there are aftermarket replacements that will increase the capacity.

What about a Road King? Not near as "intimidating" as an Ultra but made for the high way?

My wife's Dyna Low Rider run's great on the highway, but feels light to me compared to my V-Rod or Ultra.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:40 AM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigLowRider
Why not? You live in Vegas - go to LVHD and rent a Harley for 24 hours for about $170. You can swap bikes as often as you want during those 24 hours. Take out a Dyna for 8 hours, a SoftTail for 8 hours, and a Touring bike for 8 hours.

BigLow
Great idea, sounds like a good dealership.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:57 AM
dklanecky
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Dyna Fat Bob has literally the same front and rear tires as a touring bike. It also has dual headlights, dual front disc brakes, and the same engine as a touring bike. It also has a very nice low seating position. IMO, it makes a great solo rider bike for a beginner, especially compared to a Sporty with it's high center of gravity.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Minnesota FXDF
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dklanecky
The Dyna Fat Bob has literally the same front and rear tires as a touring bike. It also has dual headlights, dual front disc brakes, and the same engine as a touring bike. It also has a very nice low seating position. IMO, it makes a great solo rider bike for a beginner, especially compared to a Sporty with it's high center of gravity.

After a couple of years I can say I still love my Fat Bob. I vibrates at idle but is fairly smooth at highway speed.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:43 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Pi$$ on being Mainstream....U have to get what U or she likes, and what U need, or U'll be buying another one next yr....
Lots on women love the Deluxe, little lower, then tour it out... bags, shield. ETC...
or Heritage, comes with bags and shield, then drop it a inch or so it if U want or need to...
The new FB low is another option having lower seat height.

Never rode a dyna, and only one RK. for Grandma and I, we ride anywhere from 2-5 hrs almost daily in summer, we are perfectly content on and with our Heritage, really good ERGO fit for my 6'2'' ...bags are not huge but never had to leave anything home during a ride. I love the shield, Bars and floorboards. big enough for a really good ride while still handling easy in town.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:15 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My vote for her in the Harley group would be a Dyna. Lower cost than most Softails and tourers, low seat, and good handling.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Whiskeytower101
Intermediate

I think now this is jmo but you should be asking ur ol' lady which one she likes better. All the Harleys out today are pretty good at all speeds, hell even the sportys have a rubbermount now. I wouldnt worry about what is "MAINSTREAM" if your worried you might be a little "MAINSTREAM" yourself. JMO not trying to **** in ur cornflakes or anything.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 AM
The Reverend D
Tourer

Considered mainstrream by who? Who cares? Would you refuse her if she wanted to buy a Honda? What would you do if she rode a Goldwing and some Harley guy started making fun of her for it?

Let her test ride the bikes and buy the one she likes the best. That's it.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:17 PM
GVDobler
Cruiser
Default Perhaps I didn't phrase it right.

Thanks for all the responses. She has aggreed to ride with me on an Ultra (my choice of bike) anywhere I want to go.

I'm thinking she might enjoy it more if she has her own, but Ultras intimidate her because they just look big. So, I want her to learn on the bike that is the best bet for winning her over. She has a heavy foot so a rocketship could be too much. (We had a 10 second 63 Nova that she drove Brackets in.) She likes the look of most any model with lots of chrome so that doesn't narrow it down too much.

I'm thinking: All have lower seat height and can have lots of chrome.
Heritage (ridgid mount)
Street Glide (rubber mount)
Fat Bob (soft mount)

Thanks again for the input.

Quick Reply: Are the Dyna and V machines considered mainstream Harley?