General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firefighter editions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:17 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Firefighter editions

The Police and Fire Editions are the same as the Shriner Edition. They have a serial number that seperates them from the regular run of bikes and the titles reflect this difference. They are not included in the dealer's normal allotment, so dealers are able to get about as many of them as they want.

A look at the owner's manual that comes with your bike will explain the VIN#'s. The POSE, Shriner and Firefighter bikes have a specific number in the two digit model area.

On the 2005 models it is as follows:

FK=FLHTCI Shrine
FL=FLHTCUI Shrine
FW=FLHRI Shrine

These letters are in the 5th and 6th positions of the VIN#.

As far as I know, there are no mechanical differences between these and the regular production run.

When I got mine I was required to furnish a badge number, proof that I was a retired officer, what department I retired from, and I signed an affidavit promising not to sell the bike for one year.

If there are dealers out there that are circumventing this proceedure, it is probably without the Motor Company's blessing.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the color because it is reserved just for the firefighter bikes. You would think that riding around in vehicles similar to this color for over 30 years I would be tired of it. Also for the difference between what I am paying for this bike and what the dealer wanted for the bikes on the floor. I can have it painted any color I want.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Capt. Welcome !!

I ordered my bike in May of 05' and was told it would take until August. Well, while away for training I got a call in mid July saying the bike was in.
I was told that they have to make the bikes once they are ordered and that there is an allotted number of bikes for the year.
I had to show I.D. and get “verified” by Harley before they would sign off on the bike, I also had to sign an agreement saying I wouldn’t sell it for one year.
Other then that, these bikes are the same as any other production bike.

Enjoy.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:22 PM
ultrared
Cruiser

All seems to be true except the dyno part. There is nothing special done to the bike mechanically, and it has not been Dyno'd. I got mine last year, and absolutely love it. Did make a few mods, and am constantly adding FF stuff to it. I wonder if they are going to change the paint on the '07 like they did from '04-->'05. Either way, nice ride, and it definitely stands out. BTW...I placed my order in mid-july of 2005, and my scoot was delivered on 30 Sept 2005...so look for that time frame. Send pics, and enjoy!

-

Old 07-18-2006, 06:00 PM
grinchcop
Intermediate

I just called my dealer, learning that the POSE Ultra that I ordered on 6/2 has a tentative ship date of 8/22.

I hope this is true, as it should arrive in time for a quick break in and service so that I can take it on vacation the 2nd week of September.

I can hardly wait!!!

John

Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are really confussing me now. First I was told that my '03 I bought second hand with 4300 miles on it was a Police Edition because of its color. (see picture)

Now you guys tell me, if I understand correctly that a FLHTCUI is a Shriner Model. Can an Ultra Classic be both Shriner and Police Edition? If not someone has really screwed up because mine in two tone Blue and the FLHTCUI is on my title but it doesn't say anything about being a Police Edition. Whats up with that?

Maybe it's really a Shriner Model and not a Police Edition. That may explain why the guy that originally bought it wasn't a policeman.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:42 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ordering requirements for the Firefighter and PD models used to be listed under each description on the MoCo website. I looked at the FF edition way back when and you used to need a letter from your Department Chief and some other paperwork before they'll accept the order, I think it was the same with the PD edition also.

Old 07-19-2006, 12:47 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm a paid FF in wa state, and I looked into buyin one of the special editions. What I really wanted was an FX though, so I didn't go that route. The way it was explained to me was the factory waits until they get a certain amount of orders before they manufacter the bikes, then they make the allotment for that time frame and ship em out. so that's the reason for the delay. wish they made FF edition in an FX softail or dyna, would have got one.

Old 07-19-2006, 07:05 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer

Now you have to have a department ID card and a driver lic. with a motorcycle endorsement. I am retired so they made a copy of my old ID card. They ask you your rank and a few other questions and it is supposed to be a done deal. The dealer also told me you don't have to keep it a year but you can't get another one for a year. I have a friend in Lakeland FL. that trades one of his every year. He has an Ultra and a RK police edition. I went to my dealer yesterday to see what was going on about the fact that the police/ff and shrine bikes were not listed on the web site. He said he did not have a clue but that he had quite a few orders for them already.
http://bobbyhill.home.att.net

Old 07-19-2006, 06:23 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Dane,

Your bike is obviously a POSE. I base this on the color.

As for your other questions, all of the Firefighter, POSE's and Shrine bikes are classified the same. They are all classified as Shrine bikes based on the 5 and 6th digits in the serial number. They were made in EG Classic, Ultra, and Roadking for your year model if I am not mistake. Later models also include a Heritage Softail.

As for the guy that owned it prior to you not being an officer, I don't know what happened with that. The rule from the Motor Company states that you have to be an officer or retired officer to get one. I know that I had to furnish proof of employement or retirement to get mine.

If you want proof positive that yours is a POSE/Firefighter/Shrine bike check the 5th and 6th digits of the serial number. A normal Ultra will be FC, a Shrine/Firefighter/POSE Ultra will be FL.

Hope this clears things up, and has been helpful.

Regards,

Bill