General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Age Profiling/Discrimination

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 04:02 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

About 21 years ago when I was about the same age as you are now, my brother(3 years younger) and I went to a Ford dealer so I could buy a new Mustang and the dealer parking was a mess . My brother had a Extended Cab long bed P/U and we had to park it taking up 1 1/2 spaces cause he couldn't park it straight due to the other cars in the lot. As we were walking in one of the sharks ,not to much older than us, said in a very loud voice " Hey you guys can't park like that, move that truck!" so I said " We sure will, down at the Chevy dealer" and drove right down the street and bought a '88 Z28 Camaro.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:14 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I kind of like to be left alone to browse at cars or bikes,..... so I can make a decision without them trying to distract be from the negative stuff. I'll be happy to let them know when I am ready.
However, they better be ready to jump at my command! LOL.
I feel the same way!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:02 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
It happens to me all of the time too. They look at me and think, that old sob is to old, beat up, and broke to buy a new Harley. Sad part is, ..............the're RIGHT!

+1

But the funny thing is that I've gotten used to it and like it that way.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:00 PM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd just assume salemen left me alone until I'm ready, car, bike, whatever. Once I'm ready to ask questions, I usually have no porblems finding someone, but nothing bugs me more than a saleman trying to ambush me as soon as I walk on a lot.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:02 PM
mikeroyharley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing happened to me wen i was looking for a sporster. then when i was 21 i tried to buy a new snowmobile i got ignored for a long time so i opened the hood and sat on the seat then the fool comes runnin over

Old 12-24-2009, 08:21 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice ride! Next visit tape a $.05 sucker to your forehead! I walk into a dealership and they start following me around like I'm gonna steal the air out of the tires.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I had the same thing happen when I went in to buy a XR1200 also. They didn't look at me seriously. I'm 69 and maybe I should have been looking at Ultra's

So I managed to convince them that I was going to buy it. Then I bought the Ultra also.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:27 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm 28 and I had it done by fellow riders, not the dealership. The fam and I went to visit some friends and went to go buy a shirt for my self at their local dealer (western WA). I pulled up with the wife and two kids and we all went in. Everybody in the parking lot in all their leather stopped talking and watched us walk in. Said hi to a couple I passed by and nothing in return. The workers were great!! Then I walked out and they stopped again, watched us get int he car and stared till we left the driveway, even turned their heads. I laughed!!

Old 12-24-2009, 11:34 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All you have to do take cash with you and when you see one you want wave the cash in the air and yell "ANYONE WANT TO SELL A BIKE TODAY"

Old 12-24-2009, 11:45 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JaronB
I'm 28 and I had it done by fellow riders, not the dealership. The fam and I went to visit some friends and went to go buy a shirt for my self at their local dealer (western WA). I pulled up with the wife and two kids and we all went in. Everybody in the parking lot in all their leather stopped talking and watched us walk in. Said hi to a couple I passed by and nothing in return. The workers were great!! Then I walked out and they stopped again, watched us get int he car and stared till we left the driveway, even turned their heads. I laughed!!

They probably were being nice and doing you a favor by not using their customary language around your wife and kids. Jus' sayin'.

Quick Reply: Age Profiling/Discrimination