General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Age Profiling/Discrimination

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:21 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
That kit looks bad ***.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Life has kinda came full circle for me. I was in your position at a time also except I really didnt have the money. Than alot of good fortune came my way for a while and things changed. It got to the point my wife wouldnt even let me near a salesman or a slaesman near me. I would get mounted 10' in the door no matter where I went for big ticket items. It sucked! The big "sucker dumbass" they see scribed across my forehead when I walk in a place........ I earned it ! For instance nobody knew for years I wanted a bike. Idid bad,, I just knew I would kill myself I was wayyyyyy to crazy. But than one day I realized I was ok and really settled down. Over about the next 3 days I silently decided it was time. Woke up on saturday morning wife said where ya going ,, i said to buy a bike. Straight to the dealership was there by noon. Didnt get 3' in the door,, they saw me coming through the parking lot !!!LOL

Asked me what i had in mind told I had no idea never owned 1 ,, 10 minutes later I pointed 1 out and said I'll take that 1. had to be the fastest sale this guy ever made. He was alright,, he didnt hammer me but did kinda tag along a little 2 much. I bought my wifes bike off him also.

But the theory of my story,, and my advice to you is KEEP IT THAT WAY! Use the appropriate buying skills when you do need the salesman ,,, but not until than. I would work on why you didnt flag one down if you really wanted to buy a bike and get them on the same page as you ,, cause eventually you'll need to do that somewhere down the line....... make sense?

The following users liked this post:
DandSPro (08-19-2018)
Old 12-24-2009, 01:44 PM
lucy brown
Cruiser

The way the economy is I'm surprised they're not all over everybody that walks in. My dad just bought a Sporty @ the Fort Meyers dealer and they were on him like white on rice every time he went in to look around. They gave him a free 32" flat screen HD tv for buying the bike.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Well what’d you expect them to do TRR? Walking into their dealership and wearing that mask, they may have thought you were there to rob the place!

Seriously, this happens a lot but the savvy sales person knows better. Some of the wealthiest people one meets on the street looks like they haven’t got a pot to pizz in or a window to throw it out of.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:01 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

It's nice to have them acknowlege you with a friendly hello and if there are questions come see me...then let you alone to do your browsing. I hate it when they won't leave you alone almost as much as I hate it when they ignore you.....happy medium folks!..

Old 12-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Seascape
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SpoilSport
Probably not showing enough gray ... their loss. It is a nice looking dealership though visited there a few times on a Sunday, so I was never put in your position. For those that do not know in Wisconsin they can not sell a vehicle on a Sunday.
Huh? Could be the same way here now that i think about it cause no dealers are open on Sunday. I always thought that was wasted oppurtunity but....... now you got me thinkin.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:51 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

The 3 closest dealers to me treated me like that, several times, even when I approached the salesmen and asked specific questions or about a specific bike.
I found a dealer that is very friendly and helpful. Guess where I shop.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:04 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Well if that's you in your sig pic, maybe the problem is with those big red lips and green eyes, I can see why they didn't take you serious.

Ok, that was a joke, haha. Anyway, it's true, but it's the same for any dealer not just harley dealers. A few years ago, my wife and I sold a property and had some cash we were going to use to purchase a new car. I had a completely blank slate, could have bought anything I wanted. We were at a car show and I wanted to look at the Jaguar line. I approached the sales droid and told him I was interested in their line and could he help me out and show me what they had. He pretty much just said, "well here they are take a look" and walked away. So my wife and I spent 10 minutes or so looking and talking about them, and in the meantime I overheard the manager and a salesman looking around their show area, shaking their heads and saying they didn't see any good leads at all. haha. Hello, you lost a potential sale boneheads, I happened to have 70G's burning a hole in my pocket. Dumbasses.

Anyway, best way to approach a dealer is to walk in like you own the place, don't smile, look a bit pissed off, walk up to some bikes look them over, make eye contact with a saleman, give him a dirty look, move on to the next, repeat. They'll come over to see what your problem is, then you can tell them straight out. "I want to buy a bike and a little help would be nice."

Old 12-24-2009, 03:08 PM
karlmdog
Tourer

Keep your chin up TRR and don't take it personally, you're gonna run across plenty more a-holes in the business world and not just at the Harley dealer. Take solace in the fact that at your age you are able to afford the bike you want and you have acquired a mean *** looking Harley. Good for you! (Took me almost thirty more years than it did you to get that Harley). Stay positive, ride safe and have a blast.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain

I like the Sauk Prairie dealership, I bought my first Harley from them. Nice location, nice staff, kind of a small selection of bikes, but a real nice place. They can be a bit over attentive, but rarely cross over into the hard-sell. The girls in the clothing section love to help you out too and I don't mind the attention!!

Quick Reply: Age Profiling/Discrimination