General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with vest design please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 03:52 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default help with vest design please.

I am sitting here with my new vest. i have some crests that I have placed on it, moved them around etc. Because it's leather, once I start sewing them on there is no turning back because the holes will never fill back in unlike blue jean material. Gotta get it right the first time.
I dont want too much crap on it, just the right amount in the right places & alot of the stuff I have is from my army days like airbourne wings, special forces wings etc.
Any advise or pic's from my brothers out there would be awesome!!
Thanks!
Hatch.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:58 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Continue to arrange and re-arrange until you satisfied with the looks. Take a look at other peoples vests. Of course they will all be different. That's what put the personal touch to our vests. Sometimes I use a small piece of double back tape and temporarily stick them on and put the vest on to see how it looks in a mirror.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:02 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just remember the one piece of protocol. If you put an American flag patch on it, the blue field goes closest to the heart, and NOTHING gets put above it.

Double sided tape or rolled up scotch tape is a good idea to place them and have a looksee. Just remember that if you want to spread them out a bit, at least leave enough room for other patches to fill in the gaps, should you want to add more.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:27 PM
hatchetman
Road Warrior

Awesome idea, Im goin for the tape now!! Any pic's would be cool!
Thanks!
Hatch.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:42 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior

Did the tape thing until I had it just right & now Im sewing them on. Bit of a job having to use pliers to pull the needle through but Im half way done on the front.
thanks for your suggestions!
Hatch.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:01 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

make it yer own dude

Old 12-24-2009, 08:08 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Get a nice rainbow patch for the front,sure to be a crowd pleaser.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:30 AM
scorchedearthpolicy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetman
I am sitting here with my new vest. i have some crests that I have placed on it, moved them around etc. Because it's leather, once I start sewing them on there is no turning back because the holes will never fill back in unlike blue jean material. Gotta get it right the first time.
I dont want too much crap on it, just the right amount in the right places & alot of the stuff I have is from my army days like airbourne wings, special forces wings etc.
Thanks!
Hatch.
Where did you get the Army patches? I need some Air Assault wings and such. Thanks.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the back simple. You may want to make room somewhere on the front for a "Broken Wings" patch for if/when you crash, if you haven't already. Some ******* ran a stop sign a few months ago - I earned mine. May get a CVO Fat Bob out of it.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:46 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetman
Thanks!
Hatch.
"no turning back"? Crests and pins will indeed make noticeable holes, but I've added/removed patches often over the years without a problem. Of course, if you're sewing them on with seriously heavy thread or fishing cord (since you said something about pulling with pliers), those holes might be larger(!)

Quick Reply: help with vest design please.