General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sidecar on a Dyna (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. I am loving this thing. It was 19 degrees this morning but my wife's sister was visiting and had to have a ride, so we got it out. She was in hog heaven.

To answer you question, Ken, yes, I did have it in mind. But I was leaning toward putting it on another bike. I had a Honda for a while and I was thinking I would just rig it up to that. I also toyed with picking up a used Sportster and using that for the hack. I love the FXD so much, in many ways, I hated to "burden" it with the sidecar.

But after a while I realized, if I want my kids to be the coolest kids in town, and I want the hack rig to really be fun and appealing (to me), it really works best with the Superglide. So I made a few modifications that I thought would work well with the hack and went with it. Glad I did.

Now the plan is to build a bobber of some sort (probably based on a Sporty) as my solo bike, and pretty much leave the sidecar rig as is. At least that's the plan.

Originally Posted by SuperglideKen
That is too cool!!!! Your kids will be the talk of their school. Very nice pictures and thanks for taking the time to post them. Not only is the side car bada$$ but your Superglide is also one fine machine! Love those bars and the speedo set up. When you bought your Superglide did you already have the side car in mind? This is just too cool!!

Old 04-23-2011, 12:37 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates on the sidecar? That's one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:41 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Dang, time sure flies! I wouldn't mind hearing another review now that enough time to gain some respectable experience has passed... wha'd ya say?

Old 04-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Ratkiller
Tourer

I'm wondering about parking? How do you back that rig up?
Ratkiller

Old 04-23-2011, 05:46 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Ratkiller
Ratkiller
Same way you back up your car... throw 'er in reverse! http://www.aim-tamachi.com/home.php?cat=73

Old 04-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Xube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely beautiful rig. I'll file this in the really cool sidecar part of my brain.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:04 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratkiller
Ratkiller
I had a sidecar on a old Honda, and if its set up right you could push it with one finger. At least I could.lol.,,

Old 04-23-2011, 06:18 PM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Shouldn't the sidecar be level? Not meant as a criticism, that kind of thing just comes natural to me from working so long as a carpenter. When things are not level, or plumb, it really jumps out at me
Leveling a sidecar is a nightmare!!!....its got 4 different connection points on the bike and turn an adjustment bolt two turns here, changes the angle there three fold....times that by for different bolts to adjust and it get darn right confusing......and you have to adjust it based on what your hauling inside the car....you can have it perfectly level with a dog inside but, as soon as a 100+ pound person gets in the whole equation changes....suddenly the car looks crooked....and thats just the side view being straight or not....you also have the view from behind (does the car lean off to the right or left...again thats based on what you are hauling....set it up for your dog so its relatively straight and then see how off kilter it gets wen a person gets in....then theres the crown in the road that all streets have to drain water so it doesnt pool in the road.....that changes on every street you ride on and also changes the "level appearance" of your sidecar.....at best you can set your sidecar up for the crown in the road that your gonna be riding on the most and who exactly is gonna be riding in the side car the most, your dog or your wife.....the best you can hope for is somewhat straight most of the time.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I spent the best part of a weekend setting up the side car I had. Getting the toe in set right will make you go crazy. I found if I set the rig up with about 75-100 lbs of ballast ,it rode the best. Empty it would seem to wonder and be guided by every imperfection, or pot hole in the road. Also leaning does nothing for the turning of a side car. You have to get the feel of the rig in turns also. Making a corner will be a eye opening experience if your not expecting the results. It was lots of fun and everyone waves to you. My wife said it was weird sitting that close to the ground going 25 mph, she said it felt alot faster.,,

Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Stanley0910
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really good, need one so I can haul my dog with me.

Quick Reply: Sidecar on a Dyna (pics)