Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which model for 400lb+ passenger weight

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:04 AM
kngobra
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Treadmill.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:57 AM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clicker01
this?
That's what I'm talking about!

Seriously tho, I weigh about 260 and my passenger around 200. That's about 400 plus gear. I was hoping a softail could handle that with upgraded shocks.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:35 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Get the bike you want,then make it what you want

Old 12-24-2009, 07:37 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MOSTWANTED
That's what I'm talking about!

Seriously tho, I weigh about 260 and my passenger around 200. That's about 400 plus gear. I was hoping a softail could handle that with upgraded shocks.
well, I'm sure a Softail could with the right upgrades. If that's what you really want, get it or you won't be happy

Old 12-24-2009, 07:56 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

MOSTWANTED you do not seem to be getting the answer you really wanted......how to set-up a softail to handle a heavy load. Suggest maybe the Softail board?

Old 12-24-2009, 08:11 AM
SSN711
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MOSTWANTED
My next bike will be a long term investment. I have been riding a sportster for a couple years now and I am wanting to buy another bike. I replaced the stock shocks for air suspension RK shocks so I can ride 2 up on short trips. I am a big guy and most of my family is large. I would like to do some road trips on my new bike. I have riden about every model at open houses and feel that I can get used to a big bike easily. I am leaning towards the softail model because they can be setup for touring or striped down for everyday use, but I am not opposed to the RK either. Most importantly, it needs to be able to handle the weight.
I weight around 250lbs and my wife is well,...let's say we are pushing the max weight for my Ultra.

Prior to that, I owned a 2000 Fatboy. It would bottom out on me occasionally and definitely a lot of times with my wife on the back. I was afraid I would crack the swingarms/frame sometimes. I popped for progressive softail springs and forks springs. It helped, but would still bottom out occasionally and rode very low in the back. The handling was not good two up even with the mods.

I love softails. I like the looks, etc. However, for long-run riding two-up with the amount of weight you will have, you may have to just give up on one and go for a touring model.

It was stated here (and I agree to some extent), that you should get the bike you want or you would never be happy. True statement. But, sometimes practicality steps in and you have to compromise between what you want and what you can actually ride safely.

I will never regret going to an Ultra. Never was my favorite bike for looks. But it has become the best Harley I have ever owned (8 of them) for riding.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I weigh 290, Wife is about 135. No problem with the Ultra.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:31 AM
DeckerDude
Road Master

Two words...Electra Glide

Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not 400 lbs i am just a light weight 255-260 .but serosly the ride diffrence is BIG get a touring bike i have a road king and electra glide i like the electra glide for the most part for longer rides because of the farrring and radio. by the way i have had a fat boy they look cool and all that but really there is NO comparisant with the big bikes.

Last edited by mtairy biker; 12-24-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure you get a tire rated for heavy weight, and watch that pressure religiously!

Followed a thread on another board last year about a Metzler letting loose on a heavy couple. Tire got hot. Was a mile long thread that started with "coma" and ever so slowly progressed to a slow recovery. Pics of the tire were posted. You could tell it ran hot by the goofy wear pattern.

I still vote: "Trike".

Quick Reply: which model for 400lb+ passenger weight