General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often should I let the engine warm up during cold winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 PM
SingSing
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
Why in the hell would you want to warm it up while in storage? Man, some people should be required to take an idiot test before purchase.
Thanks to all who helped me out. As for you EZRiderPGH YOU must have alotta 'friends' who think you are a completely qualified 100 proof *******. Why even contribute to this thread or forum unless you have something to offer by way of helpfulness and assistance. you r most likely one of those rare breed of birds who always alienate yourself from other people due to your snarkiness and general *******-ness. you can just nibble on my left ******** ok? To all others here thanbks a bunch for assisting a fellow rider..

Old 12-24-2009, 10:20 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SingSing
Thanks to all who helped me out. As for you EZRiderPGH YOU must have alotta 'friends' who think you are a completely qualified 100 proof *******. Why even contribute to this thread or forum unless you have something to offer by way of helpfulness and assistance. you r most likely one of those rare breed of birds who always alienate yourself from other people due to your snarkiness and general *******-ness. you can just nibble on my left ******** ok? To all others here thanbks a bunch for assisting a fellow rider..
Said like a true moron.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:56 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, maybe not. The Op asked a simple, motorcycle related question. There was no need to answer him the way you did.
Seems you are good at dishing out. Time to take some and eat a little humble pie.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:28 PM
lucy brown
Cruiser

No matter what forum you visit there is always a douche bag lurking around. Props to all the constructive posts.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:52 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well...the guy's got a point...it was a pretty low level question. LOGIC says why in the world would it be called winter storage if you were gonna run it every once in a while.

Check out the Iron Order MC page!

Old 12-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave71
well...the guy's got a point...it was a pretty low level question. LOGIC says why in the world would it be called winter storage if you were gonna run it every once in a while.

Check out the Iron Order MC page!
There's been a "myth" around as far back as I can remember, about running a motor once per month during storage, saying that it was a good thing.

It was NOT a lower level question. Besides, whatever happenned to "the only stupid question, is the one not asked".

Real Christmas spirit here today (not).

Bunch of fat egos,... think they know so much that they have to "talk down" to folks. Makes 'em feel better about themselves.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:11 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
Put it to bed and leave it alone. Just starting it up for the sake of running it,doesn't do it any good. Put a trickle charger on the battery, cover it with a breatheable cover and wake her up in the spring. Back off the WD40 too, your rubber won't deteriorate. Just how long are winters where you are?

Seems a lot of riders here try to overdue the Harley experience. This is the right advice.

Old 12-25-2009, 02:25 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
There's been a "myth" around as far back as I can remember, about running a motor once per month during storage, saying that it was a good thing.

It was NOT a lower level question. Besides, whatever happenned to "the only stupid question, is the one not asked".

Real Christmas spirit here today (not).

Bunch of fat egos,... think they know so much that they have to "talk down" to folks. Makes 'em feel better about themselves.
I wasn't talking down to anyone. I agree about asking question but then again forums also have search functions.

but no matter what..it is a pretty basic question

then again...I was going to post a pretty low level question myself today but I think I'll hold off

for the record I was not baggin on the OP.

I just got caught up in looking into the Iron Order MC...

Old 12-25-2009, 04:01 PM
SingSing
Banned

Thank you Frenchman and Fast Ed,.
I appreciate your support. Evberyone talks so much about this supposed 'biker code' and 'the life' yet many are real quick to downgrade and talk down to up and comin riders new to this lifestyle. I asked the questions because i recieved conflicting accoounts. Cheers and hope you and all yours are in good health and happiness.
-SS

Old 12-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Gusltd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the bike should be dressed up,fuel tank full and stabilized, covered with a bedsheet or anyother breathable cover and left alone until the winter thaw. Back in 97 when i bought my first bike i posed this ? to a few trustworthy wrenches and they all advised me that starting him up does nothing for it. I have done this since and i have had 0 problems and my last bike sold after 10 years of owning it and it looked new!