General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Young Guy Getting 1st Bike. ADVICE PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:51 PM
themac5150
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TittiesOnTwo
Ima chick that wants a Street Glide! The Bonz has no bags.... a girls gotta have bags!
Now that is one expensive purse right there...

Old 12-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If you lived in Missouri and had $4000,I have a 2007 Honda Shadow i would sell for $4000.00 that is like brand spanking new, put forward controls, a mustang seat and saddle bags and i have the old seatand pegs that came on it as well, and it only has 3000 miles on it. sharp as all get out and rides good, and is the perfect bike for learning on. Im going to take a loss on this bike cause thats a grand less than i owe, i just want to get out from under it.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:10 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im 6'1" 230 and my sporty with forward controls fits me just fine.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think all you guys and gals have beautiful rides that I'd be proud to ride or ride with. I'm sorry, but I just cringe when people start raggin on each others ride. Geez, these are Harley Fuc*in Davidsons! We're at the top of the food chain. I mean its like talking about someones mother... Sporties are cool, as are Dynas, as are Glides etc etc. Most of us even appreciate the Jap bikes, the Euros etc etc... But to dog a Harley... incomprehensible.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by clicker01
I think all you guys and gals have beautiful rides that I'd be proud to ride or ride with. I'm sorry, but I just cringe when people start raggin on each others ride. Geez, these are Harley Fuc*in Davidsons! We're at the top of the food chain. I mean its like talking about someones mother... Sporties are cool, as are Dynas, as are Glides etc etc. Most of us even appreciate the Jap bikes, the Euros etc etc... But to dog a Harley... incomprehensible.
Agree 100%...not once did I rag a guys scoot, I just stated my opinion on fitment and some took offense.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:26 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

1st Sportster at age 20 ( 40 years ago )

Present Sportster at age 60 .. Nuff Said ...

Old 12-22-2009, 12:18 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
As far as a 883...let the ladies ride thoses
Some of us 883 riders are not 'the ladies'. And some of us have more experience then most people will ever have.

We just choose to ride 883s, sometimes the 883 is only part of our 'fleet', because they fit our needs and we don't suffer from any kind of complex that makes us feel the need to use a motorcycle to prove our masculinity.

Some of us also don't post "thoses" when the word used should be "it".

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 12-22-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:39 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by teedubya
It wil be your FIRST bike? If so get something small, not an EG or Road King. It doesn't have to be a HD to learn on. The smaller metrics are cheaper to learn on and can usually be sold after you get comfortable on two wheels. Riding a bike is not like driving a car. There is more to it than just getting on it and riding down the street. Alot of new riders in my area say that the MSF begginners coarse was well worth the money. I learned on smaller dirt bikes and rode both on the dirt and highways while learning. I'm sure there will be many opinions on your post. Stay safe and be smart.
The post quoted above was the best post in response to the OPs questions. At least IMO.
In the past 40 years I have seen many new riders. And I have seen most of them not be riders for a real long time. There aren't many of us that are in it for the long haul.

This isn't meant to reflect on anybody's character or abilities. Just an acknowledgement that "Riding a bike is not like driving a car. There is more to it than just getting on it and riding down the street". Not everyone considers the rewards worth the risks. As teedubya suggests "smaller metrics are cheaper to learn on". It also means taking a smaller hit if you decide that motorcycle riding is not something you want to do.

Ron

Old 12-22-2009, 06:29 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm still a newbie with 2-1/2 years riding at 58, I waited until I thought I had the descipline for a motorcycle.. Waited too long! I hope I did most of my dropping on the rentals I used for the first 3 months, plus one on my WG (note guards are on it now) and one on my 3 day old RK....
My first bike was a 1100 Honda Shadow for $4000 with 1200 miles on it, a really sweet bike. But, I just wanted a Harley, only had the Honda a week before I was shopping. Fortunately finances weren't the issue, I've been infected with the boating disease forever, so bikes seem inexpensive!
I will suggest a method to finding a bike in a budget, go on to ebay, pull up motorcycles, sort by price, and go to your $ comfort level... I wanted to get a replacement for my 'must have' convertible toy and did that. Oddly enough a week later after seeing thousands of cars I ended up with the 1st one that caught my eye when I started looking... It is a great market for you to buy a $3000 bike IMHO, don't get hung up on anything in particular and you'll do well.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
The post quoted above was the best post in response to the OPs questions. At least IMO.
In the past 40 years I have seen many new riders. And I have seen most of them not be riders for a real long time. There aren't many of us that are in it for the long haul.

This isn't meant to reflect on anybody's character or abilities. Just an acknowledgement that "Riding a bike is not like driving a car. There is more to it than just getting on it and riding down the street". Not everyone considers the rewards worth the risks. As teedubya suggests "smaller metrics are cheaper to learn on". It also means taking a smaller hit if you decide that motorcycle riding is not something you want to do.

Ron
There is a lot of truth in what is being said here. I have seen many people go out and buy bikes and ride the hell out of them the first season or two only to drift away from riding. I can cite at least 10 guys I know of and even my woman that was putting 4k a year on her scoot until this year when I bought the glide and she put maybe 400miles on hers.

There are a lot of bikes to choose from in that price range. I would not be too quick to pull the trigger on anything and keep all options open.

Quick Reply: Young Guy Getting 1st Bike. ADVICE PLEASE!