General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Young Guy Getting 1st Bike. ADVICE PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Thats not what you said.........
Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
You would of caught less **** if you said that in the first place instead of coming across like a trailer queen.

Ya know I have a tendency to do that...I have a thought in my head and miss a key point when I post...my intentions were good but delivery was lacking. ...

Old 12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

You see more chicks on Deuces around here than Sportsters.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 PM
TittiesOnTwo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ima chick that wants a Street Glide! The Bonz has no bags.... a girls gotta have bags!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:11 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikeingoshen
you've called sporty's "chick bikes" in several threads, why you do need to try to emasculate others by calling their bike a "chick's bike" and then state how big of a man you are is between you and your therapist pal i couldn't care less...... pot meet kettle, sure calling sporty's a "chick's bike" isn't cutting someones bike o.k. and you've done it enough times on this site you are bordering on troll territory.

but now i'm here cutting your bike? you threw the gauntlet down sorry what did you expect? and are most women 5'10 180?

I was going to replay but thought why bother...wonder why you never posted a pic or your ride

Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,877 Likes on 980 Posts

I love what Harley has done with the new Sportys. The Nightster, the Custom, and the XR all look great.

My personal favorite is the XR1200, and is certainly not a "chick bike," whatever that means. The operating weight of this bike is just under 600 lbs (not exactly a lightweight), and has an unladen seat height of 30.5 inches. I sat on one at the dealership, and was surprised how high up it sat. I'm 6' 1" 210 lbs, with long legs, and while it fit me fine, I don't know of many women that would be comfortable on this bike. The same goes for new riders!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:17 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer

my ride is a stock 1998 1200 sportster with drag bars, risers and vance pipes use your imagination... when i get done with it i'll post a pic, and i'm doing the work myself not just dropping more at the dealership to make my bike look like everyone elses.

not sure why you highlighted 5'10 180 that was quoted from you, i was going off your specs not my own size. point is 5'10 180+ doesn't really equate to your average woman, i would think many women would be more comfortable on a lower bike, the sporty stands higher than most other bikes.

Last edited by mikeingoshen; 12-21-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:23 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
I love what Harley has done with the new Sportys. The Nightster, the Custom, and the XR all look great.

My personal favorite is the XR1200, and is certainly not a "chick bike," whatever that means. The operating weight of this bike is just under 600 lbs (not exactly a lightweight), and has an unladen seat height of 30.5 inches. I sat on one at the dealership, and was surprised how high up it sat. I'm 6' 1" 210 lbs, with long legs, and while it fit me fine, I don't know of many women that would be comfortable on this bike. The same goes for new riders!

See Mikey that's how you rebut someones statement.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:29 PM
mikeingoshen
Tourer

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
See Mikey that's how you rebut someones statement.
ooohhhh now pet names, let's see stating how large of a man you are, trying to emasculate others, now giving other men pet names that closet is opening pretty wide... (not that there's anything wrong with that)...

no i think i did a fine job calling you to the carpet sally (that'll be my little pet name for you since we're on such a close level)...

Old 12-21-2009, 08:42 PM
3737pisces
Cruiser

Hi! schumacher. I agree with that comment re go on a diet!Im from Australia & Not to Insult American people But! Here in Qld "Morgan & Wacker "(Oldest HD Dealer) said that the Sizes of T/shirts etc are made larger! because people in the USA have become Larger in Size ..compared to the Size here. e.g is a t/shirt I bought Size Small..which equals Size Medium here..Now! back to Sportster! I have an XL883C 2005 that has had quite a lot done to it & it is a heavy bike compared to some others. Im 5'7 & around 10st. So the bike is ok so far for me.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Highland61
Novice

Originally Posted by MattMoney
1. Is it better to buy privately or from a dealer? I know dealers are more expensive but are there bikes more realiable etc?
2. Would it be better to wait until I can afford a nicer bike or is $3000 a good place to start for a 1st bike?
3. I found a 1970 sportster for sale for $2000, would that be a bad 1st bike? I know they are harder to work on etc. I would be doing my own work and am fairly mechanically minded. Does that price seem right?
4. What about a 97 sportster 883? Had the best reviews I found of the 90's bikes and I like the look.
5. How is progressive for insurance?

Thanks a lot ahead of time for any help.
1. The dealer will probably wash the bike and maybe do a minor service and put it on the floor. Unless they have records on the bike, they may provide little mechanical information; however, they may offer a minor warranty with the bike. Can be hit or miss either way.
2. Hold out till the 4-5K range, more selection and you can find older flh's and dyna's if your interested in those models. If your willing to wrench, have access to a decent toolbox and can get through a service manual you're ahead of the game.
3. You should probably enlist the help of someone a little more familiar with harleys to help you select a bike. You really want to get at least one riding season in before major work, so be somewhat selective, see answer to number 2.
4. Up to you, also see answer number 6.
5. Shop around....for some, brand loyalty; for others, it is the out the door costs..
6. Buy what you want and what makes you happy...unless you have someone else that has a stake in the matter.
ALSO, screw that buy a metric, unless you want to say you've owned one. Nothing against metric, there are a few I wouldn't mind owning. Bottom line...why spend money on something you don't want just because someone else had to learn on a metric.
You need to live your dream not anyone else's!
Once you get a bike, take your time and work on your skills before throwing down a beer, a line of rubber, and ripping through downtown at midnight...unless that is your alter ego.
7. First get through a riders course. If you have to, rent a bike at the dealership every couple of months to determine your riding style and goals. Helps with proficiency and model selection.
8. Budget for some riding gear.

good luck.

Last edited by Highland61; 12-21-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Young Guy Getting 1st Bike. ADVICE PLEASE!