General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Young Guy Getting 1st Bike. ADVICE PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:50 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Not me ... Just don't want to throw the guy off track about a sportster which the OP asked about and sure didn't knock them when been riding them for 40 years ...

Old 12-22-2009, 03:22 PM
yoacedeuce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportster

Sporsters are good starter bikes, i financed mine, fortunately the payments are much affordable than a car/truck note. Unlike most who start on a sportster i intend to pay mine off and keep it as a barhopper.
Like most are saying, start with the MSF course to see if you really like to ride or not, then maybe even rent a harley for a day or two, i know you stated that you don't have much money, but this could save you more in the long run. Decide from there if you can handle a larger bike or if you intend to keep your first bike for longer than 6 months (at least a year). As far as insurance, Safeco was the cheapest for me, about $40/month on a Nightster. I hope this makes sense, it did in my head before i started typing.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 AM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I took the Riders Edge course first because I never rode before. Then debated to get some used to start on or the new Fatbob sitting on the showroom floor. Went with the new Fatbob and been loving it ever since close to 8,000 miles. Good luck.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:31 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Keep saving, learn to cut corners and cut coupons. Do ya smoke? If ya do, stop. $5 a day. There's a start. Try to save as much as Jedd Clampett or Warren Buffett. Eat Hot dogs once a week, eat Ramen noodles once a week, eat grilled cheese once a week and you'll be astounded at what you can accomplish over an extended amount of time. Throw all your loose change into a jar. Lower yourself to mow grass ETC,ETC,ETC.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:08 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Start out on whatever floats your boat,smaller is not always better.My first machine was a Harley bagger at 14 yrs old.If you are mechanically inclined,don't be afraid of anything that looks decent.Carbed bikes are very easy to work on,unless you are not afraid of electronics go for one of those.Good Luck

Old 12-23-2009, 08:48 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teach, my first bike was my Road King and still is what I ride, do what is financially sound for you, but there are a lot of used evo's out there get the carb, that are in the 5 to 6 category. You won't be replacing that bike to soon. Good luck.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Tinmanpope
Tourer

My first road bike was a Honda Sabre 1100 nice bike and right weight but can get up and go too. You can find good one for less than 6k. I would tend to lean toward a dealer because they go through them and fix a few things a individual you never know. Trust no one.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:32 PM
MattMoney
2nd Gear
Wink more questions

1. Whats an evo?

2. What is a metric?

3. Where do you guys finance if it isn't through a dealer? My local credit union is 8.5% and has pretty short loan periods on 3000

Last edited by MattMoney; 12-23-2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Changed
Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 PM
MattMoney
2nd Gear
Default Thanks

Got a lot of good info. Am taking a riders course at the local community college as an xmas present. Going to look at getting the bike in the next couple months around my birthday and tax season.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2009, 06:45 PM
MattMoney
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
No nerve touched....I'm not the one that came in here and started cutting someone else down.(you seem to always do that) I made a statement and stand behind it. If you're a 5'10 180 lb man a Sporty may be fine, I'm 6'3" and weigh in at 245 and even with 3" extension on my Deuce I still feel like I could use a bit more stretch.
I'm 5'11 and 185 lol. From what I've looked at in the dealerships I think a sportser would fit me fine. Though I may look into a 1200 or even some of the other bikes mentioned. Thanks guys for all the help

Quick Reply: Young Guy Getting 1st Bike. ADVICE PLEASE!