General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Pipes do save lives!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:13 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ToastedGoat
oh boy another loud pipes thread!!!

to the guy stating the sound comes out the back of the pipes.. Sound from the bikes is some what omni directional. The speed of sound is way faster than your bike. If you think that the loud pipes sound is not traveling out in front of you you are mistaken.

like previously posted it helps .. it's not a total deterrent .. I mean crap. people get hit by trains all the time.. and they are loud as hell and have loud horns on em. People get into wrecks with police cars and firetrucks they have lights and sirens..............with some people you could have a freakin parade going on in front of you and they'd still swerve into your lane.... If it works 70 % of the time it's still an improvement.
+1 on the omni-directional comment. Very good post!!

Old 12-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Sandhog
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

BS on the pipes.If you like them loud then buy them.I like the sound but to think they will make you anymore safer than someone without them,your fooling yourself.
You in no way can compare the sound of a siren from an emergency vehicle to the sound of drag pipes.Even though draggers are heard for sometimes 1000's of feet,the tones are hard to pinpoint.The tones of an emergency vehicle are MADE to be easy to pinpoint the direction they are coming from.
From my personal knowledge,most bike accidents with cars are caused by left turning cagers,turning in front of the guy on the bike.Now if the driver of the car can NOT see a 6'2 ,200 pound guy riding a shiny chrome covered piece of steel weighing over 600 pounds with a headlight mounted to it,what makes you think a loud pipe blowing noise out the back is gonna do?
If you bought your loud pipes for any reason then the cool sound,sell them and invest in an emergency siren.
I live in Orange county NY,and I can bet you that there are at least 7 deer in my back yard right now.They dont mind either of my Harley's.If the deer start to drive,I will sell the bikes.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:47 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. Don't buy it. My Honda and Yamaha are both really quiet and I get more issues with being cut off and stuff with my loud *ss Harley.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ButtMan1000
Thing is,

You don't know how many times your *** was saved from idiots who did respond to the noise of your pipes,

I almost pulled into a BMW bike this summer as he was not in my sideview mirror, and the bike was so quiet I never heard it,

Some noise from the pipes would have alerted me to his presence,
Only if his pipes are louder than yours,,,where does it end

Old 12-19-2009, 10:35 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

I have to disagree with the loud pipes save lives argument. They do annoy people though and give all Harley riders a bad rep. First of all you don't hear the pipes till the bike has driven by, if you are in a sound proofed car.

Secondly if the riders of these bikes were really concerned about their own safety and being noticed they would be wearing Hi Vis gear and have headlight and brake light modulators. Most of the loud pipe riders I see are not even wearing any protective gear at all.

Last edited by fat_tony; 12-19-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:01 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Guess I'm 50/50 on this, I love loud but not too loud pipes, but most young cagers have the tunes booming so loud they wouldn't hear any bike, or some of the elderly that have hearing losses. But people sure notice a freight train or an air horn from an eighteen wheeler. Anywho, how can you prove a negative?

Old 12-19-2009, 11:24 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

STUPID !!!!!

How many more of these post.

Engaged brain saves lives.

Loud Pipes Don't ride bikes. Humans do.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:28 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNoser
Only if his pipes are louder than yours,,,where does it end

I was in my car,

The small field of view of the BMW bike and its angle to my side mirror hid it from me as I veered Left, almost into it,

When I am in my car and I hear a bike, (Exhaust pipes), even if I do not see it I know it is around and am exta cautious when manuevering,

I am sure I am not the only cager with that mindset,

Last edited by ButtMan1000; 12-19-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:33 PM
AnesMerc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loud pipes do nothing more than **** off your neighbors and the people next to you at a traffic light.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:47 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

If you truly feel Loud Pipes save lives, maybe you should rethink your mode of transportation.

With this loud pipe saves lives theory, the Gold Wing must be the most accident prone motorcycle magnet on the road today.

Good thing the insurance companies haven't caught on to Wings being so dangerous. Otherwise their lowest annual rate of all baggers would skyrocket.

This theory can also make one believe that Gold Wing riders must be the most fearless motorcyclists on the road today.

Want to know what loud pipes tell me? Warning, a low & slow motorcycle is somwhere in the area.

I find running my high beams on during the day on my HD makes more drivers aware of me. Not making some backward noise that nearly no one in an automobile can hear with their windows rolled up in front of me.

In over 37 yrs and over 1M accident free mc miles ridden all over the world, I never needed or had loud pipes. Maybe you guys give too much credit in those loud pipes saving your bacon when the misplaced credit should be given to those "Gremlin" bells you're hanging.

Quick Reply: Loud Pipes do save lives!