General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Pipes do save lives!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:52 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Ain't like the ole 67 GTO I had with cams, headers and shorty's that came out in front of the rear tire with Thrust mufflers.....

That baby rattled the window in the house when I started her up......
Man I loved that one......
She'd almost wake up the dead, wouldn't have to worry bout the blind not hearing her...

Old 12-19-2009, 09:52 AM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by curlydee
Ya'll are having deeper discounts in FL , we are only getting myths up here in KY for buy one and the second one is half off.
LoL! Bring a friend and get him to pay half..

Old 12-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loud pipes makes a vehicle more audible, not sure if it can be proven to "save lives".

Old 12-19-2009, 10:07 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HD7585
Everyones entitled to their opinion,lifes experience lets me know better. good luck with that theory
it is not theory, the more attention you give to yourself, the more people notice. Guess fire trucks should do away with the high color paint, and sirens and such as too ambulances and police vehicles. School busses are needlessly paint yellow to draw more attention to them.
Have you been experiencing the real world lately? Camoflage and silence is used to not be detected. Noise, color, light are all used to be detected. Loud noise attracts peoples attention! Loud colors too! No other way around it. For every driver that did not notice the extra attention you drew to yourself, the overwhelming majority did. Like I said, you would not be able to quantify those that did notice you, simply because they did and no interaction took place. Experience your life, notice what you notice while experiencing it, if a noise diverts your attention to it, or a color or light has you notice it, that is what you are doing to others with your loud pipes, or lights and colors. You are being noticed my friend and that is how it is.

Last edited by rounder; 12-19-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:13 AM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a rider I will say it "loud (way loud) pipes **** me off."
I compare it to the cager with his whole car filled with speakers...
both get noticed..both are irritating.
and in the end the very driver you want to notice you and RESPECT you is now pissed and wants run yer **** over.
So, yes to fact you will get noticed more than other bikers...but I am not so sure you get the results you think you do.
But you could paint your bike yellow

smile...its just opinions....happy holiday

Old 12-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,268 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by ToastedGoat
uh yeah , read the title of the thread,.

Uh yeah, read the post

Old 12-19-2009, 10:50 AM
mkbrower
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are my thoughts. Unless you point your pipes toward the front of your bike, loud pipes do very little to alert people of your impending arrival. Pointing towards the back of the bike does more to alert people that you are already gone, and because sound waves bounce off objects behind you, it may be confusing to anyone in front of you who might hear, where the sound is actually coming from. This is why you can't compare loud bikes to Emergency vehicles as far as sound goes. EV alerts are projected ahead of them, not behind.
I will admit that loud pipes may have some limited benefit if you were riding along side someone or in thier blind spots. However, loud pipes could startle a driver to taking un-necessary evasive action if the noise is too loud or confusing.
I love the sound of a V-Twin and I will select mufflers that I find will enhance that sound which I find is most pleasing to my ears.

As far as I know most safety experts and studies conclude that loud pipes does very little if anything to improve our safety while riding and I know from experience that loud pipes will not prevent a deer from running out in front of you.

Mark

Old 12-19-2009, 11:15 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkbrower
Here are my thoughts. Unless you point your pipes toward the front of your bike, loud pipes do very little to alert people of your impending arrival.
I drive for a living, funny how I always seem to hear a good set of pipes coming up from behind me. I will say this, I did almost move into a lane where a motorcycle was about a month ago. He somehow snuck into my blind spot, and I had no idea he was there cause his bike was whisper quiet. I can always hear if a bike is in my blind spot if he has some volume to his pipes. Lucky for him I always check my blind spot before moving into the next lane over. Fact is, the biker in my blind spot needed to be seen cause he could not be heard! If he sneaks up into someones blind spot all quiet like, and they do not check, splat. This whole notion that that pipes only alert the drivers behind them is perhaps the biggest crock I think I have ever heard. I hear bikes coming from all directions and sure as chit never get confused as to where they are coming from, left, right, behind, in front. I am sure you do to.

Last edited by rounder; 12-19-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:24 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlider57
I'd rode in a group with a guy once whose bike was so loud he put plugs in his ears. I'm thinking, what good are loud pipes for safety when you can't hear for yourself what is going on around you. I like a nice beefy tone on my Harley, I have 2" rush slip-ons, but when you end up wearing ear plugs...maybe you went too far and now have regrets.
+1 on that.

The problem with the Volt is that nothing can hear them like children and animals. Most vehicles are loud enough to be heard.

Now if you really want to be heard you could mount sirens, fire off fireworks, carry a tuba, fire a shotgun, whatever. You will get noticed.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:29 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Thread hijack in progress.

The article was about blind pedestrians not being able to hear electric cars as they cross the street.
yeah when I saw the article, The first thing that came to mind is how noise does in fact factor into safety! whether it is a blind person crossing the road or someone in the car in a riders general vicinity. Put it together.

Quick Reply: Loud Pipes do save lives!