General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Pipes do save lives!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:28 AM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 696 Posts

The earplugs may be to cut down wind noise... Its the guy behind him that needs the plugs for pipe noise.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Ray-Ray
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyones a fool if thay dont put loud pipes on there bike for saftey.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:35 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HD7585
Can't agree on loud pipes saving lives, To many dead bikers with straight pipes. I've been almost killed many times in the past 35 years and have always had loud pipes. Ain't buyn the mith.
Ah but you have no idea how many times you may have been killed had the other drivers not heard you. See emergency vehicles also have people crash into them as well. It's not like anyone is delusional about the fact that no matter what attention you bring to yourself(loud pipes, lights whatever)there will still not be risk. Fact is the more attention, the more opportunity others have to recognize you are there. Thus, the safer you are.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:40 AM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HD7585
Can't agree on loud pipes saving lives, To many dead bikers with straight pipes. I've been almost killed many times in the past 35 years and have always had loud pipes. Ain't buyn the myth
Oh come on. They're having a sale. Buy one myth get one free!

Old 12-19-2009, 09:42 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Everyones entitled to their opinion,lifes experience lets me know better. good luck with that theory
Originally Posted by rounder
Ah but you have no idea how many times you may have been killed had the other drivers not heard you. See emergency vehicles also have people crash into them as well. It's not like anyone is delusional about the fact that no matter what attention you bring to yourself(loud pipes, lights whatever)there will still not be risk. Fact is the more attention, the more opportunity others have to recognize you are there. Thus, the safer you are.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:46 AM
quentin2009
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good topic, I have yet to get some time logged in on my new ride, when I got it home I drove around the neighborhood and set off every car alarm. I could not even idle by cars witout setting off their alarms, when I got home after the short test ride my ears were ringing. The bike has 2 into 1 Martin Brothers Sliksta 11s.
Very loud, will be drawing tickets all summer, I am hoping they sell baffles for these pipes if I choose to keep them.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:47 AM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelonewolf
Oh come on. They're having a sale. Buy one myth get one free!
Ya'll are having deeper discounts in FL , we are only getting myths up here in KY for buy one and the second one is half off.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:47 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior

oh boy another loud pipes thread!!!

to the guy stating the sound comes out the back of the pipes.. Sound from the bikes is some what omni directional. The speed of sound is way faster than your bike. If you think that the loud pipes sound is not traveling out in front of you you are mistaken.

like previously posted it helps .. it's not a total deterrent .. I mean crap. people get hit by trains all the time.. and they are loud as hell and have loud horns on em. People get into wrecks with police cars and firetrucks they have lights and sirens..............with some people you could have a freakin parade going on in front of you and they'd still swerve into your lane.... If it works 70 % of the time it's still an improvement.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,268 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Thread hijack in progress.

The article was about blind pedestrians not being able to hear electric cars as they cross the street.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:51 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Toypuller
Thread hijack in progress.

The article was about blind pedestrians not being able to hear electric cars as they cross the street.
uh yeah , read the title of the thread,.

Quick Reply: Loud Pipes do save lives!