General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Pipes do save lives!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
It's interesting when some people claim that drivers of other vehicles can't hear or just ignore loud pipes on a bike...

Pretty much the same people then claim that bikes shouldn't have loud pipes because they annoy and aggravate others and will bring enforcement down on bikers in general...

That's an obvious contradiction...
Well lets see how that goes;
I say cagers can't hear loud pipes.
I run quiet pipes, they can't hear me, but so what, they can't hear loud either. or
I run loud pipes and they can't hear me, and of course I can't hear anything else either, I already have tinnitus from loud pipes.

I don't know, I can't put it together. I don't understand the contradiction. I wonder if I could BING it.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:39 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Some cagers pull out in front of trains.......hmmmmmmmmm. .........Maybe they didn't here it coming

Last edited by HD7585; 12-28-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:56 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
You've been here for awhile, surely you've seen both those claims made by people objecting to loud pipes?

Both statements are conflicting positions put forth from the same camp who are just opposed to loud pipes for their own personal reasons...and either claim negates the other...you either notice loud pipes or you don't...
You give me far too much credit for paying attention and being able to remember.

It is more norm to respond to individual posts - I read and, if inspired, respond. A minute later, I couldn't tell you whom I responded to, if I ever noticed at all. I'm not responding to a person, but, to what was said.

SO... if someone says something in one post, and then says something else in another post, it is unlikely I would notice it was the same person.

Aside from that, I don't recall seeing anyone in HD forums say anything against loud pipes in terms of them being a nuisance. Not that it may not have been said by someone here on the forums, just that I either didn't read that thread/post, or, I don't recall it.

I get the impression most of us here are all for loud pipes on our bikes (at least louder than stock). The disagreement I see is on the effect, if any, of having loud pipes. Some people claim that cagers who can't see or hear a fire truck or train somehow hear a little putt putt Harley. Other of us here are considerably more realistic.

Among the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" supporters, I see a few who just like loud pipes but can't simply say that - they feel they need to justify them with an imagined safety concern. No amount of science or physics impacts their belief - Like the cowardly lion in the Wizard of Oz, they just grab their tail, close their eyes and say "I do believe in loud pipes. I do believe in loud pipes. Oh I do I do I do believe in loud pipes!"

If you want a contradiction... check how many people who have life saving loud pipes on their bikes, wear a helmet.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:43 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't recall seeing anyone in HD forums say anything against loud pipes in terms of them being a nuisance. Not that it may not have been said by someone here on the forums, just that I either didn't read that thread/post, or, I don't recall it.
Loud pipes are a nuisance, can I make it any clearer?

I don't like riding around those with loud pipes, especially behind them and even while wearing my ear plugs.

I do understand why some have loud pipes that have/need performance mods upgrades. How else can you stay up with those 650cc metrics.

For the rest that only want to make noise but no additional power, watch out for them their automatic 600+cc scooters running near silent, they will shock & awe you as they fly pass you.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:14 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

They seem to work in CA where we lane share or as some call it, "splitting lanes." When you see cars move to the left or right to allow you to pass you know it's because of the pipes. But that's at twenty or thirty miles and hour. Don't know if they're that effective as a life saver otherwise. But one poster said he'd been almost killed 35 times with loud pipes. Makes me wonder if he'd be dead if he didn't have them.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:09 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have read a places on line that bikes with loud pipes wreck more then bikes with stock pipes ????????? Ok doubt that one. I know when I had the stock pipes on my Kaw I did not feel safe riding beside someone on the freeway and even with the slip on's I have now it's not real lound and I still feel like they might not know I am there. My Sporty has drag pipes and everyone looks over so I feel they know I'm right there even if they don't like the sound LOL!

Old 12-28-2009, 03:40 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain

I know that I use my exhaust as a way to get people to look in their mirrors when I'm splitting traffic. So I guess they hear me before they see me!

Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 PM
myking
Cruiser

I hear louder bikes comming from behind me all the time. Question is if I go louder will I still be able to hear my passenger wife tell me how to ride?

Old 12-28-2009, 06:59 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by myking
I hear louder bikes comming from behind me all the time. Question is if I go louder will I still be able to hear my passenger wife tell me how to ride?

No, you won't be able to hear her...

Most of us just consider that an extra benefit...

Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 AM
scootertramp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by myking
Unfortunately she'll just resort to the brail method. Kidney punches and rib shots!

Quick Reply: Loud Pipes do save lives!