General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Pipes do save lives!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:13 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I don't run loud pipes, nor do I even like them. However, it just stands to reason that at some time and at some place loud pipes have saved some lives. And on more than one occasion too. "I" would never consider them as safety equipment, but I have to believe there are times they would actually serve as such. I do know for a fact that I NOTICE loud pipes, be it for good or bad!

Old 12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
I don't run loud pipes, nor do I even like them. However, it just stands to reason that at some time and at some place loud pipes have saved some lives. And on more than one occasion too. "I" would never consider them as safety equipment, but I have to believe there are times they would actually serve as such. I do know for a fact that I NOTICE loud pipes, be it for good or bad!
of course you do, your ears work! And pipes are not a safety device, they are a performance and sound enhancing device. They do have the added benefit of the extra noise to allow one to hear you as well as see you.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Loud pipes make more ambient noise, which gets you noticed. On the other hand, since most accidents occur when a car makes a left turn in front of a bike, why not face the pipes forward? I had a few beers; don't bother answering.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:30 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Loud pipes make more ambient noise, which gets you noticed. On the other hand, since most accidents occur when a car makes a left turn in front of a bike, why not face the pipes forward? I had a few beers; don't bother answering.
well... not ALL accidents happen that way...

Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
What situation, there is no situation,
Well yeah, there was a situation I was responding to. I quoted it. He was talking about riding next to a car and the car starts moving over in to your lane.

I am riding down the road, my bike is heard around me, I have no incidents, close calls, people taking my lane. What good is a horn gonna do? My presence is noticed cause I am louder than other things around me. Oh yeah bull chit if you never heard a bike before you saw it.
Perhaps you should get your eyesight checked. I can see a lot farther than I can hear.

... I cannot recall ever hearing a bike before I saw it (other than when I am at home & hear a bike go by - in which case I never see it at all).

I tell ya the lies people will say to try and defend a point.
What are you lying about to defend your point? Why?

LOL there is no way on gods green earth that you or anyone else that can actually hear has never heard a motorcycle somewhere in your vicinity before seeing it... no way.
On what are you basing this opinion? The laws of physics clearly dictate it would be unlikely one would hear a motorcycle at any distance while driving.

An observation of reality - people not seeing or hearing a huge, bright red fire truck with lights flashing, sirens blazing and blasting a horn - makes it obvious one would have to be rather foolish, at the very least, to believe a little putt putt noise coming out of the back of your bike will be heard by anyone other than the car following you or immediately next to you.

Certainly, there are a wide variety of factors to be considered. If I am driving 25 mph with the windows down and a bike is accelerating some distance behind me, I would imagine I would hear them.

If I am driving 90 mph with the windows down on the interstate, the wind noise alone, not to mention the physics of sound travel, more than obviously indicate I would not hear a bike behind me traveling at the same speed. If he were going faster than me, I would likely hear him as he got right next to my open window, or perhaps, very slightly before then.

Add in other surrounding noises, closed windows, stereos, cell phones, the fact that cars are made to be rather soundproof, and a host of other factors and it all adds up to loud pipes providing nothing in the way of safety.

Sorry I don't buy it, only thing I can buy is you and others are afraid of me and others being right...
That's just your ego talking. I have no reason to fear you being right. My bike has fairly loud pipes (V&H longshots). I have no delusions they provide me with any measure of safety. If you are right and they do, I'm fine with that.

...thus proving quite simply that loud pipes alert drivers of the bikes presence, and they can in fact save someones life.
Spouting your opinions does nothing to prove your point. Scientific data collection and analysis are needed. I really wish Mythbusters would take this one on. It's been proposed to them by many people.

I'm not sure what methodology they'd use, but I would imagine a most basic test would be to simply measure the decibels of different bikes approaching from different angles and at different distances. From there, perhaps the same measures would be taken from inside a vehicle under various conditions (windows up, windows down, conversation with a passenger, stereo on at different levels, etc.).

The difficult, if not impossible, variable to measure is the attention factor. If one is *trying* to hear something, they can pick it out much easier than someone who is focusing their attention elsewhere. I can tell you, I don't put a lot of focus on trying to hear bikes while I am driving. I see them far enough away that it doesn't matter. It may also be a factor that I pretty much always know what is behind me - because I just passed it (i.e. I generally drive faster than traffic).

Old 12-23-2009, 09:50 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah bull chit if you never heard a bike before you saw it.
What bike?

Old 12-25-2009, 07:54 PM
ciq01
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the baffles out of my Boarzilla pipe. There is no confusion as to where I am now.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Is this the first winter thread about "Loud Pipes Save Lives?" I can't believe it took so long...

Old 12-26-2009, 01:19 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Oakland California PD says loud pipes save lives...

http://dogpile.com/clickserver/_iceU...D&_IceUrl=true

Old 12-26-2009, 06:10 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I think people being pre-occupied while driving that causes a lot of accident. They're just not paying attention what's going on around them. Discounting talking or texting on their cell phones, putting on makeup or reading while driving, peoples driving skills are getting worse. Too much multitasking while driving. I see it all of the time. Have you noticed the amount of tire marks on curb in the middle of nowhere? Drivers don't stay in their lanes completely because they are distracted. They are thinking about problems at work, at home, the kids, etc. I see drivers all day long that think the Amber light means go faster. There also are more drivers on the road.

Quick Reply: Loud Pipes do save lives!