General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone help regarding Garage Door Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:14 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Someone help regarding Garage Door Fix!

I wanted to be able to pull in the driveway and hit the bright light switch and it open the garage door....but this is not what happend. What did I do wrong??? I think I fried the opener! I have a Chamberlain garage door system with a remote. I removed the circuit board and found the circuit to complete with a jumper wire....then removed the 3 volt battery and used some test wires from the motorcycle battery to see if it would open the garage door and nothing happend! Now when inserting the battery back into the opener nothing happens. I read the DIY thread regarding doing this and the only thing that I can think of is that 12v from the motorcycle battery was too much for the opener? Like I said before...the small lithium battery in the garage door opener is only 3 volts. Any suggestions? And yes...you guessed....I"m not an electrician! Are some garage doors openers not able to be worked this way?

Thanks

Old 12-18-2009, 04:29 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing , only the opener I used had a 9 volt battery.
I wired the modified opener into the high beam circut..the door
opened about 3 feet..Psstt...that was all she wrote. I was disappointed
to say the least.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Four times the voltage the circuit was designed for will get you every time. I once inadvertently wired a 110v ceiling fan into a 220v circuit. That sucker spun like an airplane prop for about 15 seconds. Then it didn't spin any more.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think you were suppose to use a relay in the circuit. A relay that closes when 12 volts were applied. You aren't supposed to send any volts to the opener remote, it already has volts (battery).

Last bike I did, I used a lil push button that I mounted on my console. It closed the circuit without any volts.

My current bike has a remote dangling within reach near my throttle grip. Looks a lil cheezy, but not real noticable. Perhaps I'll do it up right this winter.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:17 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

to much voltage could have fried the board...BUT your garage door might have the special security plus? rotating code deal..
might have gotten lucky and just cleaned the heck out of it with the extra voltage..
put everything back together like new and see if garage motor can relearn remote..there is a button by the light on garage motor...do not connect to 12 volts again.,

Old 12-18-2009, 05:26 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got the HD garage door opener as well. I too just installed a new Chamberlin opener.
I had to re-program the HD opener... the instructions for this are in the HD opener instructions.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

Chances are you fried the opener.

But, if you're still interested in trying to do this, you'll need to build a voltage divider. This is a way of reducing the voltage available to what your device / accessory can handle. WARNING, you must put the switch between the voltage divider and the battery otherwise the battery will be wasting voltage on the divider circuit all the time. Have a look at the attached diagram, it's pretty simple to build, all you need is a soldering iron, solder and some tape or something to seal up the circuit after you have it made. If you find small enough resistors you might even be able to hide it inside of the opener case itself. I'm showing fairly large resistors, so if you find that this only works from a short distance drop the resistance multiplier (1000) down to 500 or 100 and recalculate. The resistor multiplier is used to limit the amount of current going to the device, most devices won't pull more than they need. The risk is that you limit it too much and shorten the range of the signal.

Anyway, good luck, I hate wiring extra stuff on my bike and just use velcro to stick my opener to the top of my tool bag. Batterys last quite a while and I don't care if it get's wet.

t

Attached Thumbnails Someone help regarding Garage Door Fix!-voltage-divider.jpg  
Old 12-18-2009, 05:35 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,280 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I don't understand all this HD garage door opener stuff. You don't have to be an electrician to install a remote garage door opener on your bike. Just take the remote that came with the garage door opener and put it in one of the windshield pouches on the bike. When you pull into the driveway, just hit the button and the garage door will be open before you can say Jack Robinson. I've been doing it this way for a long time and I promise you it works pretty good.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by carlgrover
I don't understand all this HD garage door opener stuff. You don't have to be an electrician to install a remote garage door opener on your bike. Just take the remote that came with the garage door opener and put it in one of the windshield pouches on the bike. When you pull into the driveway, just hit the button and the garage door will be open before you can say Jack Robinson. I've been doing it this way for a long time and I promise you it works pretty good.
Agreed! LOL

Besides, hooking it to your brights will send a signal to the opener every time you use the brights, not just when you are in front of your garage.

I get an extra kick out of the "horn" guys. Neighbors must love 'em.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Robottom
Chances are you fried the opener.

But, if you're still interested in trying to do this, you'll need to build a voltage divider. This is a way of reducing the voltage available to what your device / accessory can handle. WARNING, you must put the switch between the voltage divider and the battery otherwise the battery will be wasting voltage on the divider circuit all the time. Have a look at the attached diagram, it's pretty simple to build, all you need is a soldering iron, solder and some tape or something to seal up the circuit after you have it made. If you find small enough resistors you might even be able to hide it inside of the opener case itself. I'm showing fairly large resistors, so if you find that this only works from a short distance drop the resistance multiplier (1000) down to 500 or 100 and recalculate. The resistor multiplier is used to limit the amount of current going to the device, most devices won't pull more than they need. The risk is that you limit it too much and shorten the range of the signal.

Anyway, good luck, I hate wiring extra stuff on my bike and just use velcro to stick my opener to the top of my tool bag. Batterys last quite a while and I don't care if it get's wet.

t

Where's the headlamp in that circuit?
Is there power to the remote the entire time your brights are on?
Lemme guess, warranty is void if your bike goes "poof"?

Quick Reply: Someone help regarding Garage Door Fix!