General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone help regarding Garage Door Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:11 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone, thanks for the responses. I think I'm just going to use my "New" opener that I bought last night at Home Depot for $32.00. This one is the small (FOB) one that goes on a keychain. With the other one, I was always trying to find it in the windshield bag when I pulled in the driveway and if I had thick gloves on, then I'd have to take those off....whine whine whine...I know...Why is it that guys get the most joy out of neat cheap gadgets... (you'd think we'd won the lottery when something works or feel like someone has died when something simple doesn't..... I just thought the idea of flashing the high beams would be nice and also would ever have to come to a stop before entering the garage. I run my bike on dim all the time and also keep the passing lamps on. No more "oh I'll rewire it....." for me!

Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lrays280z
Everyone, thanks for the responses. I think I'm just going to use my "New" opener that I bought last night at Home Depot for $32.00. This one is the small (FOB) one that goes on a keychain. With the other one, I was always trying to find it in the windshield bag when I pulled in the driveway and if I had thick gloves on, then I'd have to take those off....whine whine whine...I know...Why is it that guys get the most joy out of neat cheap gadgets... (you'd think we'd won the lottery when something works or feel like someone has died when something simple doesn't..... I just thought the idea of flashing the high beams would be nice and also would ever have to come to a stop before entering the garage. I run my bike on dim all the time and also keep the passing lamps on. No more "oh I'll rewire it....." for me!
Yeah, I must admit, there is a rewarding feeling involved when you tinker with stuff and it works as planned.
Please excuse my previous sarcasm. I've been bit by the tinker bug before.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

You need a 12v opener because your bike is 12v's. If you use and opener that is less volts with out dropping the voltage it will fry the opener. Here is some more info on doing this...

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=20947

Trucky911

Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover
I don't understand all this HD garage door opener stuff. You don't have to be an electrician to install a remote garage door opener on your bike. Just take the remote that came with the garage door opener and put it in one of the windshield pouches on the bike. When you pull into the driveway, just hit the button and the garage door will be open before you can say Jack Robinson. I've been doing it this way for a long time and I promise you it works pretty good.
Just what I was going to say.....Never fried one either......
windshield bag holds the glasses and door opener easy.....

Old 12-19-2009, 05:52 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

After reading that story, the $100+ I spent on the HD opener sounds like a bargain.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Where's the headlamp in that circuit?
Is there power to the remote the entire time your brights are on?
Lemme guess, warranty is void if your bike goes "poof"?

I'm not making a recommendation there Ed. Just trying help the guy out based on the question he asked. The 3 volt circuit would draw an extra 3mA and the 9 volt circuit would draw an extra 9mA, do the math.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Robottom
I'm not making a recommendation there Ed. Just trying help the guy out based on the question he asked. The 3 volt circuit would draw an extra 3mA and the 9 volt circuit would draw an extra 9mA, do the math.
I inject too much sarcasm in many of my posts, that's my nature and I really don't mean any harm. I do see that you were just answering a question and it was kind of you to do so.

However, I just don't agree with the circuit as recommended (whoever originally steered him that way). If I were to play with that circuit, I would use a totally separate circuit that in no way interfered with the integrity of any existing circuit on the bike.

The little rubber booted pushbutton that jogs your odometer, mounted anywhere you see fit, wired directly to the remote contacts that the remote button connects,.... is simple and safe and won't interfere with anything. While the headlight switch aspect is "cool", it just looks like you are adding unnecessary draw that might come back to haunt you someday. It really bugs me that the circuit is live every time your brights are on. That just ain't right. Especially in the case that some poor fool happens to have a similar code on his garage as you ride by. LOL (I know, not very likely).

Old 12-19-2009, 12:49 PM
BlueNoser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Just what I was going to say.....Never fried one either......
windshield bag holds the glasses and door opener easy.....
I got the HD opener, flick the headlights just before the driveway and it's open when I get there.

Live real close to neighbors with small kids so try to minimize time idling in driveway at 2AM.

Otherwise I would stick to garage opener on a keychain or windshield bag. Cheaper and easier to install.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Robottom
Road Master
Received 138 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I inject too much sarcasm in many of my posts, that's my nature and I really don't mean any harm. I do see that you were just answering a question and it was kind of you to do so.

However, I just don't agree with the circuit as recommended (whoever originally steered him that way). If I were to play with that circuit, I would use a totally separate circuit that in no way interfered with the integrity of any existing circuit on the bike.

The little rubber booted pushbutton that jogs your odometer, mounted anywhere you see fit, wired directly to the remote contacts that the remote button connects,.... is simple and safe and won't interfere with anything. While the headlight switch aspect is "cool", it just looks like you are adding unnecessary draw that might come back to haunt you someday. It really bugs me that the circuit is live every time your brights are on. That just ain't right. Especially in the case that some poor fool happens to have a similar code on his garage as you ride by. LOL (I know, not very likely).

Couldn't agree more, it should be a temp push button on a completely separate circuit "if you're going to do that". I would never do on my bike, eluded to that in the first post, it's too easy to just carry a battery operated remote.

However, this seems to be a popular thing to do for some reason.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...n-buttons.html

Texas Fat Boy's post in this thread...
"I have the garage door mod that uses the high beem swicth to activate the door."

Anyway, no worries, it's the weekend, sun is out and I'm headed for the road.

t

Old 12-21-2009, 01:49 PM
rcc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What trucky911 said. You need a 12 volt opener (very common) and just remove the battery and wire it to your battery on the bike. Then use a small push button switch and wire it to the opener switch. The odometer button is perfect. Just get one and install it on the opposite side of the console. Very clean. The opener itself can be hidden anywhere on the bike, just run wires from the battery and the switch to the opener itself.

Ron