General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added Howard Horns to the Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 PM
69Shark
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added Howard Horns to the Heritage

I finally converted my rear blinkers to running, blinker, brake lights and was telling my wife all I needed now was a LOUD horn.

She casually asked what was I looking for. I had mentioned Howard Horns but wanted LOUD.

Unbenounced to my my bride ordered up a horn from Howard Horns.
They contacted her to confirm the bike they were to go on and after a breif conversation she told them I wanted loud and they were a surprise birthday gift. They suggested changing the order to the dual trumpet set with caps. My wife agreed and the order shipped.

My bride also aware that I'm sensative ( read **** ) as to what I'll put on my bike left the entire order intact and unopened and wrapped it for my birthday. The idea being we could easily ship it back if I did not like it.

Well I opened my gift and wow! Very cool! In the box was a hand written note to me saying happy birthday from Howard Horns and a free pocket knife along with the order. WOW! That was pretty cool! Now the knife is an inexpensive one but hey, very nice touch! THANKS!

I installed the dual trumpet horns on my 02 Heritage Classic following all the instructions perfectly and OMG they are LOUD!

I just can't wait for that soccer mom in the SUV to try and take my lane now just so I can let loose the horns!!

Thanks Howard Horns!

Ok I added images! Enjoy! I do not have the ability to do sound bytes though. Sorry

Scott

Last edited by 69Shark; 12-18-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:36 PM
kngobra
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 69Shark
I finally converted my rear blinkers to running, blinker, brake lights and was telling my wife all I needed now was a LOUD horn.

She casually asked what was I looking for. I had mentioned Howard Horns but wanted LOUD.

Unbenounced to my my bride ordered up a horn from Howard Horns.
They contacted her to confirm the bike they were to go on and after a breif conversation she told them I wanted loud and they were a surprise birthday gift. They suggested changing the order to the dual trumpet set with caps. My wife agreed and the order shipped.

My bride also aware that I'm sensative ( read **** ) as to what I'll put on my bike left the entire order intact and unopened and wrapped it for my birthday. The idea being we could easily ship it back if I did not like it.

Well I opened my gift and wow! Very cool! In the box was a hand written note to me saying happy birthday from Howard Horns and a free pocket knife along with the order. WOW! That was pretty cool! Now the knife is an inexpensive one but hey, very nice touch! THANKS!

I installed the dual trumpet horns on my 02 Heritage Classic following all the instructions perfectly and OMG they are LOUD!

I just can't wait for that soccer mom in the SUV to try and take my lane now just so I can let loose the horns!!

Thanks Howard Horns!

Scott

Old 12-18-2009, 02:43 PM
mtowner
Tourer

Can you post a sound bite too? Love to here how loud they are!!
Only if you could put this on a Harley....LOL
I believe this will wake soccer Mom up....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWNw0A1Ijg

Last edited by mtowner; 12-18-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:23 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you get the covers for the trumpets. They say you need them to keep dirt etc out of them. I was curious as to how the covers affect the sound.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:49 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those looking for a picture of the Howard's Dual horns, here's a close up of mine. Check the sigpic for a full view. BTW, the sissybar bag is normally not on the bike.

and YES, they are loud. Even with the dust cover in place.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:41 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Heres a link to the howard horns website. They have a "listen to" for each horn style.

http://www.howardshorns.com/

I've been thinking about getting something louder for my Road King. The horn on it is really lame. Heck, the horn on my old sporty is better than the Road king horn.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:30 AM
kalamitty
Cruiser
Thumbs up

i fitted the howards horns to my heritage 12months ago, and can say they are loud, i had to buy mine through ebay as howards wouldn't ship to the uk. Now even 40ton trucks move over when we are behind and i give them a quick blast, my friend has the H-D air horns and we put them side by side and mine were louder.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

like the idea of some good horns, just not sure of the look...

Old 12-19-2009, 02:56 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the look, just not sure of the long term durability. I've read about some issues with dirt and water getting into them. Also a couple older complaints about the trumpets cracking and poor customer service. Complaints were old so gotta take them with a grain of salt.

Probably main thing that turned me off from buying them was their onsite installation tips. They tell you that a battery is only good for 1 year. They say when you start your bike it takes 20% of the charge and then 20 minutes of riding to recover the lost charge. If that's the case then starting my bike and turning it off 5 times should result in a dead battery. Done that before so it's bs.

Then they tell you that your stock cables are crap and if you want "really good performance" from your horn you should buy their $40 cables.

So the question that pops into my mind is what kind of performance will I get w/o buying a new battery every year and using their $40 cables?

May be a great product but when I smell BS I tend to walk away.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:03 PM
SingSing
Banned

****in A ! I just ordered a pair of those big boys! **** Yeah!

Quick Reply: Added Howard Horns to the Heritage