General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riders

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 07:50 AM
bigtop
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default riders

I want to get my wife to ride with me on the bike. I've never been a rider, just the driver. Common sense is still the rule but, what tips I can pass on to her to make her ride better and, more importantly, how to make the ride safe for the both of us. Is there a rule book somewhere? Suggestions anyone?

Old 07-16-2006, 08:35 AM
bdgreen
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: riders

The first thing I would offer is not for your wife but for you. I don't know if you have traveled with a passenger before or not, but just in case, here it is. There is a world of difference between riding solo and riding with a passenger. Little movements from the passenger have a big affect on how the bike handles. My first ride with the wife was close to home and fairly short so we could BOTH get used to the handling. Scary rides are not fun for either of you. As for the passenger, taking digital pictures and listening to the MP3 helped make things better for my wife. Since then we have made longer and longer trips so she has slowly become more accustomed to what she can and can't do while riding. Frequent stops at places like antique shops are good. Gives both of you a chance to stretch and breaks up the monotony for the passenger and you don't have to buy anything because you don't have a place to carry it. There is one major problem though. You may never get to ride solo again. Every time I crank my bike she comes running into the garage with the helmet on wanting to know where WE are going. Good luck and safe riding. Hope ya'll will enjoy.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:33 AM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the safety checks on the bike. Make sure the tire pressure is where it should be.

Old 07-16-2006, 01:55 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior

first you didn't say what you ride or how it's equipted
make sure you have a comfy seat for her and a back rest (manditory) have her sit on it and make sure
the pegs are right my wife is real short and this can be a problem
try to get her to relax and just follow your lead lean with you not against
also if she is relaxed she won't feel like she has to have a bear hug on you
have fun ride safe

Old 07-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

All of the above is good advise. But your wife feeling comfortable is the salient point here. If she has never ridden shotgun before she will need some time to become accustomed to a bike. Some ladies take to it right a way, others take a while, yet some can never overcome fear. Take some slow rides through the twisties. She should look over your shoulder going into a turn. Head level, swiveling at the hip in harmony with the bikes motion. Practice low speed maneuvering in empty parking lots. It is usually at these lower speeds that most two-up riders loose balance and dump it over. Better to take a few lumps at 5 MPH than 55. Less expensive too. Merely pulling into and out of a parking space requires attention. When parking the bike it is sometimes best to stop outside of the intended space, let her dismount, then maneuver the bike into the spot. Depends on how tight or uneven the space is. When getting on and off you two must have a system where your lady lets you know so you can brace yourself. My wife will ask before getting on, "ready?, I will then hold the front brake on, lean my weight slightly to the right (she alway gets on on the left side) to compansate, and she climbs on. I will then say, "all set?", she responds, and off we go. Then the same proceedure in reverse for dismounting. Piece of cake. When riding in traffic be extra cautious. Increase your following distance. It takes longer to stop two-up than solo. Always check your bike over before departing. Especially tire pressure. I go with 36 lbs in the front and 40 lbs in the rear. I'm 177 lbs and my wife is around 140. Just take it easy till she's comfy, and just practice, practice, and practice somemore. My wife and I ride two-up all the time and love it. We have done thousands of miles together. Just stay alert, watch your six, and above all, ENJOY.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:05 PM
toolbox
Road Master

Start out with making sure your bike is setup for 2-up (air pressure/shocks if adjustable....Comforts important!....Then take short trips for getting comfortable together, ride smooth, slow excelerations,slow stops,etc.. The more you ride the more she'll get at ease. Goodluck.
TOOLBOX

Old 07-17-2006, 10:46 AM
bigtop
Intermediate

Looks like some great tips and advice, people. Thank you all. Happy trails.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:32 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member

I've had seven different passengers on the back of my various bikes and I can tell you that they've run the gamut...everything from hardly being able to tell that they're back there, to wanting them off the bike ASAP The main thing is to make sure they sit still. Other than that, if they're inexperienced I just tell them to mirror the position of my body and we'll be good. I try not to get anymore technical than that.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Zyklon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the local MSF course I think they offer a companion rider course for passengers.

Zyklon

Old 07-17-2006, 12:14 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Lot of slow rides around your area, practise in some parking lots. Great having my wife ride with me, extra set of eyes, and she is getting real good at hand signals. LOL

Quick Reply: riders