General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut off by a driver, what do you guys do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:13 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,280 Likes on 1,317 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. Stupid car tried to run me off the road. I was so pissed that I whipped around and got right next to her window and shot her a bird for about 100 yards. Pretty stupid thing to do but I have trouble keeping my cool when someone is trying to kill me. Next time I will try and keep my head and get the tag number then call the police and see what they will do about it. I wonder if I mention attempted vehicular homicide if it will make a difference.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 PM
lucky chuckie
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say change your lane position and never ride there again except when exiting the road. The safest place 99% of the time is on the middle line with your headlight in oncoming traffic's face. That right lane is way more dangerous than the center line. Too many blind spots in right lane. No one can pull over into you if your far left. Also, it's more likely they can't say I didn't see you if your in the middle of the road. I say if they didn't see me it's my fault for not being in the middle of the road. One caution watch for people crossing the centerline talking on cell phone. But hey, you only get to die once. Ok, everyone tell me how stupid I am, and I'm lucky I'm not dead. After 20+ years of riding on the road in this position, I've been told several times I had a close call. I can say I've had but a handful of close-calls. MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!! Also don't be scared to honk if you suspect someone is going to make a left turn.

Last edited by lucky chuckie; 12-16-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:43 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That kind of thing happens to me almost everyday. I always have an exit plan. Most times I try to blast around them and at least give em a little scare to wake them up. I am pretty used to it here in San Diego. It's not legal to talk on a cell phone and drive here but it doesn't stop them at all. I see people talking all the time.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I posted about this happening to me this summer, 2 kids turned right into me in my lane, didn't have a clue i was there, I laid on the horn, passenger heard it. I gave the driver, the old 2 fingers, ''im watching you thing''. Rode along by them until they slowed wayyyy down. I rode off, on up the road, i was still pretty hot, so, i pulled over, waited for them to go by, took off after them , they turned i rode up to them and gave them quite a speech. The driver did a lot of sorry sir, sorry sir, type stuff. Got back on the bike, took off, found my self squeezing the grips so hard, i had to talk myself down. Did i do the right thing, yes/ no, maybe, i did feel a little better. But, like you i should have gotten the Lic # had a cop come out and talk to them. Or i should have followed them home, introduced myself to their mommy, and daddy. By the way, Jan 1 2010 it becomes Illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving,$$$$$ we'll see how that works.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM
CherryHog
Road Master
Location: west of the west side of Indy, many miles from nowhere
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually just think "IDIOT!!" and go one, knowing there's always another one coming along. I was told many many years ago by a friend to 'ride scared'. It didn't take me long to figure out he wasn't talking about riding the machine.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:04 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mountains of East Ky. half the population is packing, legal or otherwise. Grit my teeth and try to ride on! It ain't worth the hassel of a confrontation unless I feel someone did it on purpose, that's the one I will confront.

Prescription drugs a problem along with your regular drinking while driving, the cell phones added to the mix. 18 wheel tractor trailer coal trucks, plus bad roads makes it harder to understand why I ride anymore, especially after almost being killed by a pill head in 03.

Like the man said keep one finger on the horn and one on the front break, stay alert and try to stay out of the blind spots. I always take the left lane in conjested area's because of people checking up in front of me, and then keep an eye out for the ones that do the lane switch without checking their rear or side view mirror.

They have a term in the military called SOL, soldier out of luck! Sometimes you do everything right and still get whacked!

You just keep your s#*t tight and your head on straight and do the best you can!
Hope you got a little luck on your side!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

sometime I think it would be better to just !@#$%^&*()them away... U fill in...

Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by 47Harley
I ride 110 miles per day and deal with this all the time. Usually I just blast past them to scare the shi+ out of them but sometimes the old boot takes a side view mirror also. I'm sure it's not legal but it sure is fun!
That sure sounds 'macho'! But what happens if as you close in and raise your foot to "takes a side view mirror" the offender swerves a few inches, or a couple of feet? Would that put a end to the fun?

I had a similar event as the OP about 27 years ago. I wasn't nearly as forceful as taking a boot to her side view mirror. Instead I just passed her and rode fast enough that she couldn't pass me again. She tried to pass me anyway and caused her customized pickup truck to end up sliding and tumbling on the street. I sort of felt bad as I passed the wreck, after calling the police, and saw this young girl crying and holding a baby in her arms.

And if those are not enough to reasons to think about your actions, a few years ago in Vegas there was an incident between two people. I am not sure of the exact nature of the incident, but the 'offended' person followed the 'offender', pulled out a gun to scare the 'offender', and the 'offended' person died because the 'offender' also had a gun and fired first.

I am not scared of anything. I have been a daily rider in big city traffic for decades. Even actually raced/rode off road for several years. For those of you that haven't done it that puts the rider at risk for a major crash quite often. And actually the 'edge of crashing' is something you intentionally seek out a large part of the time.

I only post this because I see there are some newbies here and sometimes 'discretion is the better part of valor'. Without being a total wimp, remember that in any kind of fender bender, the biggest player or the fastest 'draw' usually wins. Even if you use subterfuge to seek revenge, the result may not create a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 12-16-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:45 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Jake
It happens all the time unfortunately. I usually roll of the throttle and let them go on. Ride defensively and don't let it land you in jail or worse, dead. It sucks but your family wants to see you tonight.
+1

she will get hers eventually....

Old 12-16-2009, 11:52 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Curse them out... But they don't hear me over my HD pipes and more than likely they never saw me. I have been pushed so far to the shoulder by cagers taking over my lane with no signal.

Now I just think thank you for only cutting me off and not actually hitting me.

Quick Reply: Cut off by a driver, what do you guys do?