General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy new rider father/son question

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 02:34 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave a niece my beloved Chevy Nova that I raced for a few years and put a lot into it. I loved being able to give it to her. She wrecked it a few months later, but she was ok, so that's what's important! I never thought about blaming myself if she died in an accident with that - that's too much pressure to bear. You should not worry.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master

Originally Posted by matt25
sound to me like you are just scared of getting a bike. with your logic you should of never had kids. that way they could never get hurt.

i sell bikes for a living. if you relly wanted to ride you would. there are so many guys that come in the shop that say they would ride but there wifes would kill them. they say that they could easily afford it but the wife just says no. and i tell them to there face if they relly wanted to ride they would. and there wife would respect a man more who wasnt pussey whiped.

I respect a salesman who shows a little bit of respect for his customers, and a measure of understanding of their varied family circumstances and personal values. The inverse of the above statement is also true. I do not do business with people I don't respect. Draw your own conclusions.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:07 PM
newRider2010
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sound to me like you are just scared of getting a bike. with your logic you should of never had kids. that way they could never get hurt.

i sell bikes for a living. if you relly wanted to ride you would. there are so many guys that come in the shop that say they would ride but there wifes would kill them. they say that they could easily afford it but the wife just says no. and i tell them to there face if they relly wanted to ride they would. and there wife would respect a man more who wasnt pussey whiped.
Yeah, I was expecting at least half the responses to be some variation of "Why don't you just fold your f'ing **** up between your butt cheeks and put on a dress you f'ing wuss bag!" Needless to say, I beg to differ. Can't put the genie back in the bottle once it's out and they see all that gleaming chrome and hear that rumble, so worth thinking about very, very seriously.

I've been very pleasantly surprised at the thoughtful and useful nature of the responses and seriously appreciate every one of them. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:47 PM
norgepa
Road Captain

Welcome NewRider !

I was were you are now several years ago. I had wanted to ride since my early/late teens. In those days there wasn't any MSF or any safety classes and as fate would have it a friends brother had died on a ride. That ended things for me for awhile. Fast forward to age 30. Yep now I'am 30 I can do this on my own. Whoops - family time - priorities - bills --- other obligations ------OK, Promise to self I'll treat myself when I am 40! Well, things happen and my riding days didn't. Until I was 47 - divorced -father of (2) sons, ages 19 and 26.

It was recommended to me by a Professional to "Do something I always wanted to do" !
After Permit -and a MSF course. I really needed the bike bad. I live in the PA and that first year I went to Erie-Niagra-Oswego(Seneca)-Finger Lakes.....about 10k + Now I am ready. The second year I went to FL by way of Charlotte - Savannah - Clearwater and back by way of Atlanta -Chatanooga - Nashville - Huntington, WVA That 2nd year I put on 15K miles.

As for the boys, I'll be there for them to help and set a good example to "Never put Off What you Promise Yourself" - You'll Know Whats Right!

Attached Thumbnails Crazy new rider father/son question-mvc-054s.jpg   Crazy new rider father/son question-visitedstatesmap.jpg  
Old 12-17-2009, 03:49 PM
matt25
Road Captain

sry if i came off cold. you had better not let your kid watch any extreem stuff on tv because that MIGHT MABY get them hurt. you were in the millitary. wouldnt you be proud if your kids went in too. sure they might get hurt but they are adults. and any one of us can get killed in our car/ bike on the way home tonight. none of us are promised tommro.

at some point you are going to have to make a decision for your self. if all this bike is going to do is make you worry your kid is going to maby ride someday and that possiable rideing will lead to a possiable wreak and that possiable wreak could possiably hurt them and that possiable rideing that lead to that possiable wreak that possiably hurt them possiably kill them. i would not get the bike to much worrying.

it sounds to me like you allready know the answer to your question any way.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:03 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 685 Posts

I haven't read the whole thread but it looks like everyone is on track: Teach them to ride if they want so they can learn the proper way, rather than having them go out and learn from their friends.

Growing up, my dad taught me how to ride quads, then dirt bikes, then street bikes. After I moved away, I got into the crotch rockets against his advice and rode with some pretty crazy people. I did some crazy stuff myself too, but my point is that without my father teaching me how to ride, I'd probably be dead.

I also have noticed large variances in how younger people ride depending on if they learned to ride with their parents. The ones that learned to ride with their parents had better skills and much more respect for the machines then those who learned to ride from their friends.

The only other thing I would add is that if they start getting the bike itch, get them into dirt bikes ASAP. Nothing like learning how to ride on a bike that you can dump over and over to work the kinks out before you get on the street.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:05 PM
matt25
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
I respect a salesman who shows a little bit of respect for his customers, and a measure of understanding of their varied family circumstances and personal values.

my point being that most people that blame everything but there own fear for buying something bothers the hell out of me.

i understand someone not buying a bike because they just plain can afford it. and i tell some coustomers of mine not to buy a bike because they have tier 5 credit and the intrest would be like 20%

i understand a person who dosnt buy a bike because they have kids at home and would not have time to ride.

i understand a lot. but what i dont get is people that will let there spouse say they cant have to one thing that can make them feel happy and free. anyone who relly loved someone would not keep them from doing somthing that made them happy. i have even got a couple of wemon to change there mind to let there husbands get bikes but the husband had to get a 1million dollor life insurance policy.

i just think it is relly sad excuse that this bike might make his kid ride someday and that possiable rideing will lead to a possiable wreak and that possiable wreak could possiably hurt them and that possiable rideing that lead to that possiable wreak that possiably hurt them possiably kill them.

to many possiablys

Old 12-17-2009, 04:07 PM
matt25
Road Captain

Originally Posted by newRider2010
"Why don't you just fold your f'ing **** up between your butt cheeks and put on a dress you f'ing wuss bag!" .

that would be just mean to say. i just think you need to make a choice for you. and i have no idea why you would not want your kid to enjoy something that you also enjoy so much.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master

..i understand a lot. but what i dont get is people that will let there spouse say they cant have to one thing that can make them feel happy and free. anyone who relly loved someone would not keep them from doing somthing that made them happy. ...

You know, I have often said the same thing. But ever since I had kids, I have kind of moved away from judging people on things like this. Everyone has to strike their own balance. I respect people who weigh the issues and reach their own conclusions. If they take into account the feelings of their spouse, or concern about their children, I guess I have to respect that, too.

Sorry. I'll put away my soapbox now...

Mark

Old 12-18-2009, 02:07 PM
vega823
Road Master

Originally Posted by newRider2010
I'm a typical 47 year old dude whose been repressing his dream of owning a Harley for 30 years.

Finally got the money together, took Rider's Edge course, rented multiple bikes and am considering pulling trigger on just the right model for me.

What is stopping me is while I'm totally comfortable with the risk and have read all the stats and have some military combat experience in distant past so that it is not just academic when I consider risk. But what's stopping me is if my teenage sons were to take up biking later in life and die or get seriously injured, I would consider that my fault for introducing that into their lives by example.

I realize this is probably a very douche like posting, but anyone else ever grapple with this??? I may end up waiting till they're off in college or renting a storage unit or something, but that would be flat out crazy.

Thanks.
I was in the same situation as you two years ago when I finally realized the dream and bought myself a Harley. My two sons were 17 and 19 at the time and I had the same concerns. Turns out that (so far) I had nothing to worry about. They both see this as my interest and have not shown the slightest interest in learning to ride. Enjoy yourself. Ride carefully. And don't worry yourself too much about what decisions your sons make "later in life".