General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Colorado Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM
tripwire759
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Colorado Springs

Looks like Uncle Sam is going to move me to Fort Carson in Colorado Springs. I have a great indy here in FL now so I guess I'm looking for who to take my bike to and who to stay the Hell away from.

Also how are the drivers there? I keep missing the blue hairs but have come close to the soccer mom in the SUV on the cell phone a few times.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's lots of great riding in Colorado. Good luck on the new assignment.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tripwire759
Looks like Uncle Sam is going to move me to Fort Carson in Colorado Springs. I have a great indy here in FL now so I guess I'm looking for who to take my bike to and who to stay the Hell away from.

Also how are the drivers there? I keep missing the blue hairs but have come close to the soccer mom in the SUV on the cell phone a few times.

Thanks for the help.
Don't know the reputation of Colorado Springs Harley Davidson, but I like stopping in there whenever I visit. Colorado Springs is loaded with traffic, but man is it near some of the most intensely beautiful scenery and fine motorcycling (on or offroad) in the world.....

Old 12-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Haywired
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was stationed at Fort Carson from 1975 to 1978 and enjoyed my time in the area. I enjoyed going out hwy 24 up to Manitou Springs and beyond. I also enjoyed the Cripple Creek area and exploring up on Gold Camp Road. The area has exploded in size since I was there but I believe the things up in the mountains are the same.. We were back out there in 1994 and I couldn't believe the difference then. Hoping to get back that way in the next year or two. There's lots of country to explore and you should enjoy your time there.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:41 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure some Springs folks will chime in eventually - I'm in Denver. You'll love the riding down there and all around CO for that matter. With heated gloves and jacket, the winter's not so bad either when the white stuff isn't flying! For the Indy's in Denver, check out TopGun Motorsports or Thunderbird. One of them might give you a recommendation for the Springs too.

Welcome to CO and THANK YOU for your service to our country!

Last edited by rogerfromco; 12-13-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, great riding in Colorado, particularly in the mountains or along the front range.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The town has just become part of the Denver-Colo Springs-Ft Collins corridor. Lots of development, lots, with just enough of a separation for you to tell when you are in the next city/burb.

It's nice enough, though. Watch out for gay pastors

The mountains are great. Some nice rides out to Cripple Creek, Garden of the Gods, or a little further out to Florissant Fossil Beds, Great Sand Dunes, Black Canyon fo teh Gunnison.......endless possibilities. There's also that road that locals call the 'gun barrel'--100 miles of dead straight road (it's a little west of Pueblo).

Oh, save your pennies and take your wife to the Broadmoor for Sunday brunch. Nice for an anniversary or something.

As for the post, Carson is a real nice place. There are definitely worse places. I was there on TDY for 90 days once. Lewis and Carson were my favorite posts.

Good luck with the PCS.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will enjoy the Springs, but the mountains will restrict your riding season.
Here's a few CO pic's

Leadville, life at 11,000 ft

Twin Lakes, US82 between Leadville and Aspen

Independence Pass

Summit

Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful area. Been out there once for a family friend's wedding a few years ago.

OP - PM forum member Chazmanian. I believe he's from Colorado Springs and I'm sure will give you some useful info. He's usually hangin around the softail forum.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:29 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I go there a lot. I have in-laws in Castle Rock (between Denver and CO Springs). CO Springs has gotten real big and has some crazy-azzed drivers. To me, I-25 is a nightmare all the way from CO Springs to Ft. Collins. When the weather allows, there are some of the finest roads to be found anywhere to ride.

Quick Reply: Colorado Springs