General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Bike into Bed of Truck? Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 PM
1lowsporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get some good quality ramps. The money you will spend will seem cheap compared to dropping your bike off the back of the truck or having it fall over on you while trying to load. Nothing like ruining a trip coming home or starting out with a damaged bike.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:08 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK,

For a no BS answer,

My choice for loading,

Site

No sweat with that ramp,

Old 12-13-2009, 08:16 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ButtMan1000
OK,

For a no BS answer,

My choice for loading,

Site

No sweat with that ramp,

Ok, since he don't like BS, try here or one of these 'economical' models.
Damn, I like BS myself. Makes all these dull *** threads werf readin sumtahms...
(No offense intended to the OP, just a general observation)

Old 12-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master

3 years ago our late fall 'return' route to Canada came via a Montana mountain pass during a snow storm: never again. We made the decision to safely extend our season and bought an Toyota Tundra. It has enabled us to 'truck'it' and despite the local weather, we've gone to the BC Interior for spring rides, and last fall we did southern Utah, leaving our snowy mountain town.

Firstly: check the payload of the truck, and know the combined weight of the bike, gear and passengers. Our '06 Tundra is the original smaller box, we have to leave the tail gate down. Hubby designed (and had custom welded) a tail gate support which is braced on the hitch. He has a 4x4 piece of plywood that covers the hinge joint, the plywood is stained to seal it, and has rubber tile mat for sure footing.

He researched ramps specs and choose a triple piece folding system from Lite Products, Aurora MO. Ph# 800-851-0396. They are 10 feet long and rated for 1500lbs. so it easily takes our 900 lb. Ultra The 3 ramps lock together and are secured to the truck with straps. He just drives up the ramp, and into the bike chock in the truck bed. Secure the bike with locking straps, and run a cable through the now separated ramp units to secure them in the truck bed beside the bike.

We use this system to get us out of our province, drive the first 1500k and then rent a storage unit for the truck. When we finish our tour, we reload and head for home, enjoying truck comforts and mock the snowy conditions. If you need specific details, let me know.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Nightking
Banned

Just be sure that if you are riding the brake down the ramp, that you have that ramp tied to the bumper of your truck. I have seen ramps come right off the back of a truck bed and down goes the bike with the rider on it. It ain't pretty. Have lots of friends to help.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

How about getting/making a pallet....
Take the pallet and your bike to the dealer (who probably has a forklift),
Ride your bike onto the pallet and have them lift you up to the truck bed.
Drive to Florida (wherever) and have a dealer there lift you down...
Give the fork driver 10 bucks for five minutes work and say see you in a week.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Strat HD
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You fuggin people crack me up. How do I get a bike into the back of a pick up ? You go to the dealer and have them do it I guess.

Fuggin weirdo's. Some body post's that they just bought their bike and dropped it only three times the first day. Then you all chime in and say " you can do it". Either you belong on a bike or you don't. You people are gonna get people killed. (shaking my head side to side).

Old 12-13-2009, 09:02 PM
houndawgg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Getting Bike into Bed of Truck?  Tips?-dsc00085.jpg  
Old 12-13-2009, 09:16 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member

looks like everyone got you covered. Man wonder how many bikes got dropped making this thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:53 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Strat HD
You fuggin people crack me up. How do I get a bike into the back of a pick up ? You go to the dealer and have them do it I guess.

Fuggin weirdo's. Some body post's that they just bought their bike and dropped it only three times the first day. Then you all chime in and say " you can do it". Either you belong on a bike or you don't. You people are gonna get people killed. (shaking my head side to side).

Wow,

You really told us,

Gee, you are so smart, I envy your intelligence,

Quick Reply: Getting Bike into Bed of Truck? Tips?