General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Bike into Bed of Truck? Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:51 PM
SpyderTB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Harley
Just ride your bike!
i feel the same way. if your going to bike week don't be one of those guy who trailers or hauls his/her bike down there. You bought your bike to ride. Well RIDE IT.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:58 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

earlier this year, I hauled my Fat Boy in the bed of my truck from San Antonio to San Diego. dealers on both sides loaded and unloaded it for me. I trailered it on the return trip.

I'd rent a Uhaul motorcycle trailer next time I need to. at $15 a day, it's much cheaper than buying my own.... plus, I don't have to worry about the licensing, maintenance and storing.

Last edited by aviator; 12-14-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: added text
Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I wouldn't haul it in the bed, borrow or rent a tailer.
Uhaul has a single bike trailer. Adds to the cost of your trip but dropping the bike while loading or unloading would cost more.

You can check at the local dealers, some have loading docks that match up to your truck bed but then you have to find one on the other end also.

I bought a 5x9 golf cart trailer that I used for hauling stuff till I bought my pickup.
Now it make a nice bike trailer. I have a Wheeldock wheel chock and can load/unload it by myself. I use it for my anual Colorada trip. Yes I could ride it but by towing it I get two extra days riding there instead of across Kansas..

Old 12-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Back the p/u into a ditch or low spot, so tail gate is close to ground.

NO ditch, you say???

Well, then, try THIS approach, JUS' make dammt sure, you gots ENUFF speed on to git ALL the way in. It SUX having to pick that big bastud, back up !!!!

H*LL, even I'M schmott enuff, to know how to use a friggin' ramp !!!! N E 1 can do THAT !!!! Takes SKILL to "ride it in".

Unloading is WAY E-Z. Use the tie downs as a rope. Tie 'em off to a tree/lamp post/street sign, then the back tar of the scoot. Put the p/u in "D", HIT THE GAS !!!!!
Look 'round VERY PROUDLY, and loudly announce, "Daytona, I iz HEER !!!!!!"
YOU, Son, are NOW reddy, to rokk 'n role !!!!!!

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 12-13-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:58 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

The Only thing about a Trailer , Is You Gotta Drive Slower...

Old 12-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was younger, I rode my Honda 900 into the truck bed with the use of some 2 by 6 ramps and a conviently placed hump in the ground. That was easy, damn near fell off the ramp coming out...like you, I thought riding the brake coming out would be easy.... I would NEVER try this with my Ultra. It is heavier than I want to handle on a ramp 2 feet off the ground, and it is longer than my truck bed !

I bought the scoot to RIDE . If that is not an option for you, then like Cruzn said, rent or borrow a trailer.... don't risk screwing up your bike and ruining your week

Old 12-13-2009, 06:12 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a piece of 1 1/2 channel iron to use as cross piece for your truck bed. Cut it at length at 45 deg angles and weld two more pieces 8-10" long cut at 45's to stick down into your forward rail pockets. Then weld a heavy (1/2" or so) eyelet right in the middle. You can hook a come-along to this to assist you in getting it up the ramp. All you need is a short nylon tether strap for the forks. If you make this set-up, you only need two people, although having three is better... one for the come-along & two on each side of the bike.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:21 PM
kevmic28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Instead of a come along you can use a atv winch. then you really dont need any help with the post above.
Im planning on building one of these.

Attached Thumbnails Getting Bike into Bed of Truck?  Tips?-power-lift-motorcycle-ramp-10.jpg  
Old 12-13-2009, 07:37 PM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you start up the ramp, don't get wobbly, go for it. But get that transition timing from throttle to brake down real good or you'll bounce off the back of the bed.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:46 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When yer ready to load up, give me a holler...

Quick Reply: Getting Bike into Bed of Truck? Tips?