General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson to build a Tri-Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:36 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are thing about using the V-Rod engine on it.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:37 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see this as a problem. It will appeal to a niche market. I doubt that I would buy one but who knows. Sometimes taste change or circumstances. I already plan on riding with a sidecar when I get too old and feeble to hold up a bike. As long as I can see and have the mental snap to know where I am I plan on riding. I want to ride till I die of old age. If this keeps me riding or a sidecar then more power to it. At that advanced age whomever doesn't like it or my bike than they can kiss my wrinkled old ***.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:49 PM
cadman311
Club Member

Piaggio three wheels have bike that lean also. I can not see me riding one.

Attached Thumbnails Harley-Davidson to build a Tri-Rod?-piaggiomp3.jpg   Harley-Davidson to build a Tri-Rod?-main_image.jpg  
Old 12-14-2009, 02:10 PM
F4Phantomsphorever
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

The article is dated Sept. '08. I don't know much about the "lead time" in bringing a product to market or when the Intermot Show was held. But given the current economic climate I'll bet this thing has been shelved, esp. with the acquisition of Augusta. Maybe Harley has their hands full.

There's an interesting parallel in the aviation world. The Cessna Aircraft Company was working on a new jet called the Columbus (which has since been cancelled). Cessna also acquired Columbia Aircraft before the recession, and with the introduction of a small single-engine and their emphasis on continuous updating and improving their existing product line, they may have also found their hands full and been forced to shelve the new jet. Too bad...Columbus was a beautiful bird.

Last edited by F4Phantomsphorever; 12-14-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:15 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this idea left the barn a year or so ago, and now the door is shut. At least till this economy turns back around.....

Old 12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
TFTCAR
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Somehow I think this is somebody in the design departments lunch time duddling.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:44 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Default V-Rod Cool

Originally Posted by IronAss
They're thinking out of the box is what has soured many of us old timers on them and given them a customer base that never seems to be happy. If the MOCO doesn't come out with something new every couple of years the bulk of their customers start threatening to run off to some other manufacturer.
Those of us that have stuck with them over the years and were quite happy with what they had are starting to fall away just because they don't have an identity anymore.
Just my opinion...I could be way off base, wouldn't be the first time but it's started to affect my loyalty a little. Not even close to the point of riding another brand yet but I have no intention of ever buying a new Bike from the MOCO again.
I agree, don't mean to imply by my first post that we are all satisfied with the product. Nothing past 06 really works like it should, leaned out bikes built for the EPA. Having said that a metric Trike will sit in the hot summer traffic and idle all day. The other trikes Harley built are hot, leaned out to much, plus the cats on the 2010. The V-Rod is water cooled, personally I would not be caught dead on one but for every Trike person that buys a V-Rod instead of a metric, Harley wins.
I am hoping they come up with something for all age groups and get some muscle back in their product. The EPA Cams and now the Catalytic Converters on all the 2010's will cause a lot of the faithfull to leave the fold! Will also raise the prices of pre 06 bikes in my opinion. I don't like the direction Harley is going, mostly brought on by the EPA but they could water cool the heads at least, keep the lines clean and put some muscle back in em!

Old 12-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if the market is big enough to even warrant putting something like that into production? I would think there would be a lot of R&D dollars in engineering a vehicle like that, so how affordable could it be?

BTW, I have only seen one Can-Am on the road.......