General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating whether or not to renew HOG

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009 | 03:01 AM
h01waterman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who is looking out for your interest in even having a motorcycle on the highways? One would think that the many insurance companyies out there would rather avoid paying expensive medical bills for every motorcyclist that was hit or run off the road by a cell phone using, GPS DISTRACTED, makeup applying fast food eating, drinking, anything but paying attention to my driving CAGE DRIVER. When a vehicle interacts with a MOTORCYCLIST..... Well, it can't hurt to have a group on your side saying to the rule makers "WE represent XXX MILLIONS of VOTER/RIDERS!"

Yes, Clubs and people are not perfect but maybe you would could give yourself a chance to have a voice. It could be a chance to make some new friends.

As for the formation riding, it is a new way of riding for me too. It is king of like being in a parade and do you have to race ever where each Sunday? What happened to a relaxing drive, and enjoying the views? My wife and I have riden together for over twenty years and this is a way to refocus me on paying attention to what I am doing when I am on our 2008 Electra Glide Ultra Classic. I do not feel that I am ever too good at piloting our bike. someone said that the group they say were obeying the speed limit like that is a bad thing. If the limits are too slow why don't you change them? Does that take some kind of influence on the people who make the rules? Now we are getting into that viscous circle of what is a reasonable action. It is a great thing that here in America you can get someone to represent you for less than a dollar a week! Often that someone may be your neighbor.

I completely understand that it may cost you a few bucks. Voting may take some of your time. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT FREEDOM AINT FREE? Between my wife and I we have 32 years of Navy service. My 11 years was in the submarine community, fighting "communism". Now, we live in Hawaii where the only commercial option you have to travel the the next COUNTY, is on a plane and this involves a GOVERNMENT SECURITY CHECK and SEARCH of you and your personal belongings. So while you are out riding, remember that others are WORKING to ENSURE that you will be getting SAFE!

RIDE ON BE FREE! (for now)

Old 12-21-2009 | 06:37 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Originally Posted by h01waterman
who is looking out for your interest in even having a motorcycle on the highways?
abate!!

Old 12-21-2009 | 06:38 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
abate!!

Old 12-21-2009 | 06:48 AM
pearlwhite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Schu, I joined HOG so I could join and ride with the local group plus their other social events. I guess if the local group was not active I would not have any interest in joining the national group. I'm having fun with it. We don't always have to be in an organized group ride. Our page on Facebook allows for someone to announce they are riding somewhere and invite others to join.

If the national HOG isn't working for you then why bother. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-21-2009 | 07:01 AM
SpoilSport
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to look for reasons to stay with someone or something it is best to search somewhere else.

Old 12-21-2009 | 07:32 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Hog Membership

We have about 500 paid members in our local HOG chapter, and about 100 attend the monthly meetings. My local chapter has rides for the novice to the seasoned rider. If you are a solo rider, then probably not for you, but if you like to pick a ride and go somewhere with some friends and eat, then try a chapter. We try to make rides interesting and I think our chapter does a good job. All American Harley Davidson in Hughesville MD , chapter 1305 is mine. We have taken rides to visit the National Museum of the Marine Corp in Quantico Va, we have rides from just south of Wash DC riding south along the Chesapeake Bay around the southern tip and back up the Eastern Shore to Annapolis and back to Hughesville. We go on rides on the Skyline Drive which runs 105 miles north and south along the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Shenandoah National Park, some of which are one day and other two day camping trips. We have rides to the York factory open house and so many others it is hard just highlight a few.

Old 12-21-2009 | 08:10 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
I get free towing with my Geico insurance. So, we dropped our membership. Kinda miss the magazines...but then realized I never got around to reading many of the ones that came in.

If I was going to a fly-and-ride, I'd start it up again for the better rates than what most dealers rent bikes for. But for now, the little gekko at Geico has me covered.
Just talked to a Geico rep (I could hear the little guy in the background) on the phone and he confirmed that there is a 75 mile limitation on their coverage. So if you do any touring at all, especially in the West, it could get expensive if you're 100+ miles from the nearest dealer. I pay HOG about $30 a year to be towed to the nearest dealer no matter what the distance. The Company offered a heck of a deal on a lifetime membership back in the 80's & I took it.

Old 12-21-2009 | 08:38 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

My dealer gave me the first year for free. Then HOG sent me a renewal for two years at the price of one. Haven't decided to renew yet.

Old 12-21-2009 | 09:04 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

umm just got my renewal... ummm NO THANX!!!

GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE GIMMIE SOUND FAMILIER

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 12-21-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-21-2009 | 12:02 PM
car5car
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
we dropped our membership.
that is not nice! Somebody will have less money in his pocket!

Quick Reply: Debating whether or not to renew HOG