General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating whether or not to renew HOG

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:38 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

I used to renew my Hog membership for the roadside assistance plan. Then I learned about AAA's RV Plus plan. It covers the rider no matter what bike he/she is riding. This is a plus for people who own multiple bikes.

I'm not much of a follower, so I have no interest in a local chapter.

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:58 PM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
I'm still waiting for my free 10lbs of bacon
And five pounds of coffee!

I keep mine for the people, and the charity rides.

Last edited by jimsflh; 12-15-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2009 | 04:34 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

OP: Same here. gave it up years ago.

Old 12-15-2009 | 05:42 PM
bear68
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got little put off by the way the local chapter rides.... They always seem to be a Big Hurry to get there and go... Full throttle from every stop... Not my style.... I ride a cruiser and I like taking my time and just enjoying the road. Last long ride I did was about 220 miles to Lakeland for Roscoe's Chili cookoff and I took the windingest back roads I could find around Lake Okeechobee. Took me nearly 7 hours!! Loved every minute of it!!

Getting to the destination is nice, but for me, it's all about the ride.

Old 12-15-2009 | 05:51 PM
powaypete
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jberg
Other than getting a pin at events I have made no use of this membership. I get free towing from AMA. Any recommendations?
If that is all you see it for, then NO.

I enjoy my chapter for some really good reasons:
Good friends to ride with. Most have been riding for years.
The New Riders - with over 30 years of experience myself, and about 10 of us with over 20 years experience, we share our knowledge and experience with the new riders so they aren't a stat in a couple of months. We have hands on parking lot drills that are about the same level as the 'Experienced Riders' courses that you have to pay money for. We are fortunate enough for have a couple of motorcycle instuctors and retired moto officers within our ranks.
We have a variety of rides every month, Easy, moderate, and challenging. Put right out front before you even show up as to what kind of ride it's going to be.

Old 12-15-2009 | 07:47 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Paid my $150 for a LIFETIME membership back in 1990 and am good to go forever for whatever it is worth. Magazine, pin, towing, great national events and rides, discounts on parts/accessories/service. Oh yeah, definitely worth it to me. I never joined a local though...no particular reason, just never did it. Getting tired of reading all the MOCO/HOG bashing on here - wow, rough crowd.

Old 12-15-2009 | 07:59 PM
mike camp
Tourer

Originally Posted by happycampinman
I renew for the tow benefit. Pins end up in a drawer somewhere.
ditto

Old 12-16-2009 | 09:57 AM
Cockroach
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never been a member of hog. never saw the point in it. If its for you and you like it, then stick with it. If you are in it for the insurance..... then i dont know.

Old 12-16-2009 | 10:12 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll remain a National Member, but I can't stand the putzes that are dictating the local chapter(and if my stalker is reading...kiss my azz FH2), so we won't join that. They can't get their bikes over 30 miles anyway!!

I love riding with the group I'm with now - no rules, no meetings - no crying - no bitchin - just shut up and ride...thats' our moto!!

Old 12-16-2009 | 10:27 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

I agree with faber, it's more of a social thing than any real benefit, and since I'm not real big on this whole "lifestyle" thing, HOG isn't my thing. What are you going to do with all of those little pins and a crappy road atlas anyway? As for the Monthly (or whatever period it's published, it has little relevancy for what I do and my region of the country. Now if dealers gave you a parts and servie discount or something similar I might rethink this.

Quick Reply: Debating whether or not to renew HOG