General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating whether or not to renew HOG

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009 | 01:10 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my 2010 Dyna they threw in a pin and a HOG membership for a year. I tossed both of them out. I've got nothing against HOG, or any other club for that matter...other than the fact that being active in any club becomes like a damn job...the group dynamics are generally the same....somebody always wants to be in charge (usually people without much real power in the rest of their lives)....and I get enough of that bullshit at work. It sort of reminds me why I got out of the Marine Corps after one hitch about 35 years ago....the pain in the *** stuff far outweighed the good stuff. That was a real shitty job with crappy pay too.

Motorcycle clubs, in particular, always want to sponsor activities to change the 'poor image' of bikers. Frankly, I don't give a rip about the poor image...it's not my responsibility...and in fact if the image helps convince some non-riding dirtbag to leave me alone I'm just fine with it (the 1% never give the 99% any trouble....can spot us in an instant...but the average toothless redneck thinks every biker in black leather is his brother). It could save me having to shoot his dumb ***.

Over the years I've learned I most like to ride with a few friends whose riding skills I trust, or even better, alone. A solo ride, or one with my wife (who also rides her own bike) is a real treat. A motorcycle gives you freedom....why ruin the pleasure spending your precious free time at meetings, coordinating events, riding in formations, and obligating yourself to do the bidding of others? But that's just me.

Old 12-15-2009 | 02:25 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I get a discount on the bike insurance, and as long as I have the national and local I get a 15% off on everything but labor...

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:10 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got my first Dyna and they gave me a year in HOG, and a year in the local Chapter...I got AAA who will tow me, I got the warranty and extended it..I think i will just prefer to ride with friends or alone myself as well. I agree with the idea that a club would just turn into a job that in the end would take away from my time on the road..i talked to some of these people in the local Chapter and their long ride they all love so much seems to be to Oklahoma, phhhht, if i want to ride a few hours ill just ride around the backroads here.
I want to do a good ride, a minimum of 2000 miles but as many as i can fit in 4 weeks through the summer. A new Harley, throw in 3 days worth of clothes, some cash and a my debit card, turn off the cell phone and take off, and take my time on the backroads of America. dont need no club for that far as i can tell. hey, yall think i should take a tent?

Last edited by Jeff W; 12-15-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old 12-15-2009 | 04:00 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

where's my bacon??????

Old 12-15-2009 | 07:13 AM
hbarleatherneck
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have belonged to clubs and this sums it up

Originally Posted by krusty1
...other than the fact that being active in any club becomes like a damn job...the group dynamics are generally the same....somebody always wants to be in charge (usually people without much real power in the rest of their lives)

Motorcycle clubs, in particular, always want to sponsor activities to change the 'poor image' of bikers. Frankly, I don't give a rip about the poor image...it's not my responsibility...and in fact if the image helps convince some non-riding dirtbag to leave me alone I'm just fine with it (the 1% never give the 99% any trouble....can spot us in an instant...but the average toothless redneck thinks every biker in black leather is his brother). It could save me having to shoot his dumb ***.
I have had hog membership twice. because the dealer pays it when you buy a new bike. So when I bought my 2006 FXST it came with it. 2 months later my wife and I take the bike two Estes Park for an anniversary dinner. Coming home we get a flat doing 80 on the highway, we pickup a framing nail. I call the hog number." we will send someone right out" 45 minutes later i call back, " they are on their way to get you" an hour later. "they are coming" we are sitting in an irrigated field with mosquitos eating us to death. it is now dark, my kids are with the sitter, and we are pissed. I start calling friends to bring a trailer. I call hog one more time. now we have been here almost 3 hours " they are on their way" i say " you cancel the tow now, because if a tow truck driver shows up here now I will beat him to death and leave his body in the ditch" hog says "sir i dont understand where this hostility is coming from" I say f-off b--ch and hang . I would never pay for that. My wife and I got a babysitter, tried to have a good time and I got screwed. I know some of you will say isolated incedent, but BS.

Old 12-15-2009 | 01:56 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Another thing about the whole HOG thing... I don't understand the infactuation with the charity rides. Personally, I give to united way, heart and stroke, kidney foundation, I buy chocolate almonds and girl guide cookies from every kid that shows up at my door, I buy poppies from the vets, give to the sally anne at christmas time, etc, etc, just like everyone else. So I feel I do my part in giving to charity. But to waste an entire day, put some dorky used teddy bear on my handle bars, ride through town for several hours in stop and go traffic just to deliver the pos to some "charity"??? gimmie a break. You have to really be desperate for an excuse to ride to resort to that activity. What is the point?? Please do tell, because I just don't get it.

Old 12-15-2009 | 02:09 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

There must be a reason so many join year after year. I have a friend who has been a long time member and he like's the comraderie of it all.Meeting new people, making new friend's, sharing stories and experience's they have all had. HMMM sound's like this forum in a way.

Old 12-15-2009 | 02:41 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Well to each his own, I'm sure it works for some people. Myself, I'd rather sit around with the friends I already have and share stories and experiences. Not that I don't want to make new friends, but time is a limited commodity. When I was young and single I did a lot of that sort of thing, but now it's just not so important anymore.

Old 12-15-2009 | 02:51 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by krusty1
When I bought my 2010 Dyna they threw in a pin and a HOG membership for a year. I tossed both of them out. I've got nothing against HOG, or any other club for that matter...other than the fact that being active in any club becomes like a damn job...the group dynamics are generally the same....somebody always wants to be in charge (usually people without much real power in the rest of their lives)....and I get enough of that bullshit at work. It sort of reminds me why I got out of the Marine Corps after one hitch about 35 years ago....the pain in the *** stuff far outweighed the good stuff. That was a real shitty job with crappy pay too.

Over the years I've learned I most like to ride with a few friends whose riding skills I trust, or even better, alone. A solo ride, or one with my wife (who also rides her own bike) is a real treat. A motorcycle gives you freedom....why ruin the pleasure spending your precious free time at meetings, coordinating events, riding in formations, and obligating yourself to do the bidding of others? But that's just me.
What he said.

Old 12-15-2009 | 03:32 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve had it for two years now with two new bike purchases. I got to attend the National Rally in my hometown in that time and enjoyed the peace of mind of a free tow, but I never participated/joined any of the local chapters and it seems like that is probably the main reason to be a member. I think I’ll save the $50 when it comes time to rejoin.

Quick Reply: Debating whether or not to renew HOG