General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating whether or not to renew HOG

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009 | 11:19 AM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When HOG dropped "The Enthusiast" and combined it with "HOG Tales" to become "HOG", it was kinda the last straw for me.

Old 12-13-2009 | 12:10 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Depends if you want to ride with the other hog members. It's the only benifit I see to joining, and that's why I haven't joined yet. Seems I have enough friends in the real world to always have folks to ride with, so I haven't had to join. Besides, what I've seen it looks pretty lame-o, but I could be wrong. Several times I've been zooming down the highway and come across a group of goodie-two-shoes harley riders limping along at the exact speed limit in perfect formation, lead rider wearing a microphone, probably giving instructions to the group. I always thought to myself they were probably on a HOG ride. Felt sorry for them as I twisted the throttle and ROARED past them. I like the freedom to do my own thing.

Old 12-13-2009 | 12:27 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shoot, I just buy a new bike every year and the dealer pays to renew my National HOG membership so that saves me the $45 a year....lol

Old 12-13-2009 | 01:08 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I'll renew mine, so will my wife. Meet some new rider's, do some charity event's. I checked the calender of the local chapter and they have a few non-riding events that may be fun to attend.

Old 12-13-2009 | 01:44 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

HOG is like any group you get out what you put in. We have been life members for over 15 years and we have friends all over the country from attending HOG rallies. Older rallies were more fun than they are now but the lawyers were not riding them! No matter what kind of club you belong to there are morons you just have to stay away from them.

Old 12-13-2009 | 03:46 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Nat Hog has been sending me renewal stuff for a month now. I agree it's only a money making cow for them. I used nothing the offer, so it was really a waste of $45. Plus add your club dues, not really seeing any value there. i joined about 6 years ago and it has gotten stale. Same rides, trips, people that run the club act as if it's their 's. Going back to the old way I did it. No dues, no fee's,leave when I want, and come home when I want.

Old 12-13-2009 | 05:14 PM
jberg
|
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for all the great replies. I think we have a consensus.
I prefer to spend the money with the AMA. At least I think they're doing something for bikers.
Their mag is better and they offer FREE towing if you renew by credit card. Not just one tow per year, too.

Old 12-13-2009 | 05:59 PM
Tex42
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to use the HD Culb towing and told the lady that answered my phone call that it was a motorcycle that needed to be towed and to not send out the old winch type tow truck. Hour and a half later, guess what drove up. An old winch type tow that was probably built in the 50's.
As it was dark by then, I let him haul it in to the nearest HD. The front fender was damaged from swinging and hitting the truck. The driver tried to get me to sign a release upon arrival at the dealershipship which I refused to do.
After numerous calls to Harley with no satisfaction--I dropped Club as I only had it for the towing benefit.

Old 12-13-2009 | 07:47 PM
Rottiman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From: Ontario, Canada home of the TAX YOU TO DEATH LIBERALS

Only worth it if you want to be everything Harley wants you to be................

Old 12-14-2009 | 04:25 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

I went to a local HOG chapter meeting to get out and see what it was all about right after I bought my 1st HD last year. I couldn't get out of their fast enough. Was a bunch of beer drinking posers who talked about all the parties scheduled for the year and not much riding. The Biker Ball in February during Mardi Gras was the biggest thing on topic.

I don't mean to characterize all HOG groups like this, just my local chapter. There may be one out there I would like, but alas it is not nearby.

Disappointing, but I guess growing up riding bikes I learned to enjoy riding by myself on the roads. All I need is me, a bike, and the road. I haven't looked back and really enjoy riding.

Quick Reply: Debating whether or not to renew HOG