General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my new tire too close to my fender?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009 | 10:40 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CroK
Dude with the rasp, have you ever seen that video of the guy who oiled his chain almost the same way? I fear for you son, I truly do...
After reading that post, I was thinking about the same photos

Old 12-14-2009 | 12:02 PM
anubisss
|
Banned

I have drawn a conclusion on this whole setup finally. I have not ahd a 150 tire with my DNA whels until now. I guess the hub is different than the sock wheel hub. It took me long enough to figure out why there is a situation with this. Anyway, a freind is coming and we are going to sort this out today.

Old 12-14-2009 | 12:21 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

Annie, THIS thread is starting to run up, on the "Bike in the Truck Box" thread. Some FUNNY chit in that one, too. Peeps are jus' FULL o' GOOD (???????????????????) advice !!!!

Wouldn't a "salad shooter" work better than the cheese grater?
Dammt, people, THEY make POWER toolz, to do some of this chit !!!!! Jeesh.

Better yet, jus' git some of these wimmin to ride on the back. They can "grate" on yur nerves pretty good, let 'em "chew" on that tar, for a while !!! PROB solved !!!!

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 12-14-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2009 | 12:42 PM
anubisss
|
Banned

I just realized why the 150 does not fit. This is a different wheel than I had the other 150's on. D'oh! Salad shooters are great. But I was thinking a garden weasel might do better.

Old 12-14-2009 | 12:54 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

One of the things you have to keep in mind when adjusting where the belt is from the swingarm, is the angle that it goes into the primary pulley. Also, the brake caliper is mounted on the wheel axel so you shouldn't have a problem there that can't be corrected with spacers on the axel. As far as shaving the tire down, it would seem that sandpaper or a belt sander would be better that a gouging action of a cheese grater file.

Old 12-14-2009 | 12:59 PM
anubisss
|
Banned

Ginzu knife? Thanks for the response. I think we are going to try the tug the fender method first. I think my primary pulley is 2" wide which leaves room for the belt with different spacers, but easier method will be tried first. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2009 | 01:00 PM
anubisss
|
Banned

Ginzu knife?

Old 12-14-2009 | 02:13 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by EasternSP
One of the things you have to keep in mind when adjusting where the belt is from the swingarm, is the angle that it goes into the primary pulley. Also, the brake caliper is mounted on the wheel axel so you shouldn't have a problem there that can't be corrected with spacers on the axel. As far as shaving the tire down, it would seem that sandpaper or a belt sander would be better that a gouging action of a cheese grater file.
Adjusting the belt? A rear shim or spacer (or two) isn't going to make any difference. There is plently of room, even for error, as the primary pulley is much wider than the secondary pulley. Makes no dif.

Your stock fender is wide enough for a 150, barely, but it is if you get everything spaced even enough on both sides... worst case; some nuts or bolts inside the fender may have to be ground down some - (I had to do that on an FXR).

It doesn't matter if your clearance is 1/8"in. or 1/4. Enough is enough - c l e a r a n c e is clearance. 1/16th might get you a scrape when the tire flexes on a big bump and perhaps you can't ride a 300lb bride, but if it isn't scraping on normal rides , I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 12-14-2009 | 04:20 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

If you hear it rubbing while you ride or it hits the fender in a small dip, I would say yes, it's too close.

Old 12-14-2009 | 05:01 PM
reefrider
Road Master

It's the new self cleaning whitewall fender. Takes off greasy paw prints from install.

Quick Reply: Is my new tire too close to my fender?