Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, OIL DISCUSSION AGAIN.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Well here's a stick in someone's eye. I use Walmart brand dino oil in the proper weight and use their brand dino gear oil as well. I change my engine oil at 5K miles and the other ones at 10K miles. Oh, with the savings, I did spring the extra bucks for a K&N Chrome oil filter.

But what do I know, I'm still filling up my Harley with 87 octane regular gas for the last 6K miles without a problem. My engine still shifts and runs smoothly and averages 42 mpg on that cheap gas, down here in South Florida.
Careful,.... there's threads out there sayin' people don't stop for stranded bikers no more,.... LOL

Old 12-14-2009, 08:14 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
There is no brand of oil that is "optimal" in all three holes.

"Can use" in all three - ain't the same as - "What's best" for each hole.
maybe it is unless you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is not.
Loads of independent testing do point out that amsoil comes out ahead of the others. The best brand went from recommending using three different grades in three different holes to finding that the 20/50 synth. is the best in all three holes. They changed their recommendation. You could try to fabricate a conspiracy reasoning for this, or maybe, they do in fact know what they are doing when it comes to oil and are in fact correct. Either way, I'll trust the leader in making the correct recommendation for my bike and use their 20/50 syn. in all three holes.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
maybe it is unless you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is not.
Loads of independent testing do point out that amsoil comes out ahead of the others. The best brand went from recommending using three different grades in three different holes to finding that the 20/50 synth. is the best in all three holes. They changed their recommendation. You could try to fabricate a conspiracy reasoning for this, or maybe, they do in fact know what they are doing when it comes to oil and are in fact correct. Either way, I'll trust the leader in making the correct recommendation for my bike and use their 20/50 syn. in all three holes.
Why not,..... it's not like they have anything to gain by misleading you. LOL

read again: What you can "get away with" (in all three holes) ain't the same as "what's best" in all three holes. They all work differently and have 3 distinct different oil requirements. If you put the same weight oil in all three holes, two of the holes will not have "what's best" for the bike.

As far as "Prove beyong a shadow of a doubt"???? It's common sense. One hole has gears, one hole has friction plates and the other hole has needlebearings and rod bearings. Three different systems with three different lubrication needs. What's to prove? That you've been snookered by a saleman? (They never lie, ya know).

I don't have anything to gain by telling you this (they do).

Either pay attention, or don't. No one cares.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 12-14-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:39 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

read again: What you can "get away with" (in all three holes) ain't the same as "what's best" in all three holes. They all work differently and have 3 distinct different oil requirements. If you put the same weight oil in all three holes, two of the holes will not have "what's best" for the bike.
Like I said, maybe amsoil or even some mobil1 20w50 in all three holes IS what is best for all 3 holes. Maybe your sources of information(and their sources) have been misleading you this whole time. Maybe the info you are citing exists because the companies out there never had an oil that will work in all three holes.
(I like this one) It's not like they have anything to gain by misleading you. LOL
We have, what, 2 brands that produce an oil that can be used and recommended in all three holes. At any rate, the other companies continue to produce an inferior product to amsoil.
Amsoil continually outperforms other oil in independent tests, if it wins, it wins.
I have been paying attention.
Amsoil list their products available for our bikes, they have a nice chart as to their idea of good, better, best in their grades of oil. You can disagree with their current best recommendation and go with the now current second best recommendation 20w50, 75/150, 10w40 combo. either way, amsoil will do a better job in all three holes than the others whichever combo is chosen. And that better job, probably, is so insignificant that I doubt it really will matter all that much anyways.

Last edited by rounder; 12-14-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:43 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 PM
sata6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh my frickin god yes its safe to use the same oil in all three holes as long as it says so on the package, and there is nothimg wrong with the harley oil or they wouldn't sell it.

Last edited by sata6; 12-14-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 PM
sata6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is getting fun to watch though funny one jaronb.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I have a PHD in oil engineering and Digitalizing internal combustion mechanical motors and I still am confussed....J/K

I really think we tend to over think this subject..... of all the leading oils out there. just get one and stick with it... and reg changes will make her last..

Yrs ago our welding air cooled motors required 25 hr oil changes.... no filter.
Now with Syn oil 5000 miles is the norm....
any good syn 20w50 motor, primary, and syn 75-90 tranny GL is best. At least for our new TC96's
I've had my bike serviced at 3 HD and all have they diff recommendations.

For ease of finding my choice, it is now Mobil 1 20w-50 motor and primary, and Mobil 1 GL 75-90 in tranny...

Is it the best,,,,????????????? I don't really know,,,,,,,, But thats what I going with....

Read several reports that the 15w-50 thins down to 15w-40 soon after using.... OK for car But I am Not gonna use it in my TC 96"......Just me. I know lot of others who have used it and are ok with it..... again just not me.....

Old 12-15-2009, 02:46 AM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil 1 is very close to amsoil... you can use 20w50 v-twin in all 3 or use it in the Primary and tranny and use 15w50 you can get a 5 gallon jug from Walmart for about $22...
I run amsoil in all three because I know it will easily satisfy my lubrication needs, and it's the most cost effective to boot. No Walmart around here sells 5 gallons of Mobile 1 V-Twin for $22 bucks, but if they did, I'd be running that for sure.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:24 AM
meatball64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Ok, OIL DISCUSSION AGAIN.