Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, OIL DISCUSSION AGAIN.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:15 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I run AMSOIL in everything car, SUV and Harley!! SUV and Harley 100% AMSOIL where ever you can put oil. My new car I have engine oil, but waiting for the trans service to swap to amsoil.

In the bike I run:

20w50 in the motor AMSOIL MCVQT
10w40 motorcycle oil in the primary AMSOIL MCFQT
75w140 severe gear in the trans AMSOIL SVOQT
Chrome Oil Filter AMSOIL EAOM134C

You can run 20w50 in all thress whole, but when I was doing the searching you are I read this was the best combination. I like it!! I don't here the sewing machine noise anymore. With severe gear in the trans neutral became easier to find and quieted down the clunk. I happy with it and will keep this combination.

Last edited by JaronB; 12-13-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:32 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

With the countless number of threads regarding oil on this forum, has anyone had, or heard of someone having a parts failure that the cause was traced back to the "brand" of oil that was used?.......Didn't think so. Just use something that has the correct weight and rating as per your manual.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaster
With the countless number of threads regarding oil on this forum, has anyone had, or heard of someone having a parts failure that the cause was traced back to the "brand" of oil that was used?.......Didn't think so. Just use something that has the correct weight and rating as per your manual.
It is pretty darn hard to isolate what causes many failures. It's not fair to say with certainty, that a failure was not caused by lubrication issues.

Think about it. Numerous bearing failures out there, they always blame the bearings. Bearings need lube, do they not?

I do agree that similar weight of any "quality" brand of oil is safe to run.
Certainly not same weight in all three holes, though.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I remember back in the 1990's Mobil came out with Mobil AV-1 for piston powered aircraft.

Everybody jumped on the bandwagon due to the fact the Mobil-1 automotive oil was such a great product. I remember myself converting hundreds of Lycoming and Continental powered aircraft to Mobil AV-1 on the owners request.

Then air-cooled piston airplane engines started having engine failures, due to Mobil AV-1.

Thus, everyone went back to the tried and true mineral oils.

Just food for thought. Nothing wrong with the CORRECT spec dinosaur oil.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Faast Ed
Banned

Do I see this thing turning into a syn vs dino thread? LOL

Started as a "in all three holes" thing, I thought.

No comment on my preferred oil, other than it is a reputable brand, separate formula for each hole.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

Started as a "in all three holes" thing, I thought.

No comment on my preferred oil, other than it is a reputable brand, separate formula for each hole.
Sorry if my post sounded like that. I personally run Mobil 1 15/50 in my FXD engine.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by Lama
Sorry if my post sounded like that. I personally run Mobil 1 15/50 in my FXD engine.
Sorry if my post offended. I see so many oil threads go that route, and thought I saw it comin' again. Friendly sarcasm, was my only intent. I should have used a smiley or two.

bTW: The Mobile 1 is on my list of good oils. You can't go wrong by using it.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:18 PM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm rolling with Mobil 1 in the crank and primary, seems to work great, everything keeps moving

But i have Lucas 75/140 in the transmission which keeps my 5th gear a little quieter and everything feeling smooth. The only down side is when the tranny is still cold finding neutral is significantly harder then before, but only for a minute or so, it's a small price for the performance gains.

When I say cold I mean below 20 degrees outside...

Old 12-13-2009, 08:25 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mobil1 for engine, B&M Trickshift primary, Spectro platinum gear.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:42 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Well here's a stick in someone's eye. I use Walmart brand dino oil in the proper weight and use their brand dino gear oil as well. I change my engine oil at 5K miles and the other ones at 10K miles. Oh, with the savings, I did spring the extra bucks for a K&N Chrome oil filter.

But what do I know, I'm still filling up my Harley with 87 octane regular gas for the last 6K miles without a problem. My engine still shifts and runs smoothly and averages 42 mpg on that cheap gas, down here in South Florida.

Quick Reply: Ok, OIL DISCUSSION AGAIN.