General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the "POP" on startup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a brand new Wide glide that is doing the same thing, have not even got to put more than 20 miles on it yet..going back Saturday with it to get some stuff installed and was going to ask them why it pops on starting while im there.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 PM
pirateheadman
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DinoVelvet
... a loud pop, flame shoots out the pipes, when I rev it sometimes ....
Man, I wish I could get flames to shoot out the pipes when I crank mine! That would be awesome!

Old 12-10-2009, 07:56 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine starts with sort of a snap, then a little crackle and finally a pop. I'm told it's normal on the 96.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by clicker01
Mine starts with sort of a snap, then a little crackle and finally a pop. I'm told it's normal on the 96.
son and I have had 3 of them and none of them does that......

Old 12-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

On EFI models, when you turn on the ignition, let the little engine icon on your speedo go out (about 3 seconds) before you hit the start button, it shouldn't pop then. Try it and see if that doesn't resolve the issue.
Marsh

Old 12-12-2009, 12:36 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's that damn weasel again. That thing better stop popping or we're gonna have to nail it's hide to the wall somehow. Dang. Pop goes the weasel again.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsh
On EFI models, when you turn on the ignition, let the little engine icon on your speedo go out (about 3 seconds) before you hit the start button, it shouldn't pop then. Try it and see if that doesn't resolve the issue.
Marsh

+1, SIMPLE chit, first !!! THEN dig into it, deeper.

My 78 Shovel will 'pop', when you turn the key on, BUT I know, what causes that. I have Dyna S ign on it. I have it set on "Kick" vs "Electric". When set to electric, it will 'skip' firing, on the first revolution. Can you see where THAT would SUK, trying to kick start??

V twins, will 'stop', with one cylinder coming up on compression, IOW, READY to fire. The 78 will 'stop' just at that point, and when you turn the key on, in the "Kick" mode, it will FIRE, without touching anything !!! Skeers the chit outta ya, if you aren't aware of it, peshally, with drag pipes on it.
Retard the timing, just ever so slightly, even a couple of degrees, and the "pop" ceases to exist. BUT that takes ALL the fun outta the whole equation.

NOW, I know, you do not have "Kick" or "Electric" selection on your ign. BUT, your V twin, will 'stop' at almost TDC.

It is just MY theory.

If the Cap'n 'pops' during start up, BAD NEWS. Cause it was prob'ly, MY KNEE !!!!!

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 12-12-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Marsh

Thanks, that resolved the issue, I wasnt even looking at that icon, i was turning the ignition on and waiting for the fuel pump to pressure up and shut down, then starting, thats to soon. started my bike 5 times today waiting on the engine light to go out and not one single pop.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:27 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,483 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Had a 99' Sportster 1200 that would let one go on start, but it had a dual spark (wasted) ignition. Both cylinders fired at the same time everytime. It would fire the gas charge left in one cylinder after the last shutdown. Sounded awesome but scared a lot of kids on the sidewalks, especially the ones sleeping in the strollers.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:30 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Smile

Marsh
Thanks Marsh, never really bothered me much, but that's real good to know. Never woulda figured.

Quick Reply: Why the "POP" on startup?