General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

111,000 Touring models recalled

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EG Ultra Classic
Seems like a lot of production units to recall resulting in quite a bit of expense for the motor company. It must be serious. Perhaps they havn't stated the real problem possibly being tank mounting bracket fatigued failure resulting in fuel leaks onto the hot motor below during normal operations.
Oh that's not good. As a kid I lost a mini-bike that way.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:07 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through the great "Cam Bearing Scare" of 1999-2000 and survived.
Not on this go round.

Krusr

Old 12-11-2009, 07:23 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

If your not affected by the recall why post up? Who cares if your not? Or are just trying to up your post count??

Old 12-11-2009, 09:17 PM
Thunder Road SF
2nd Gear
Default It Affected Me

I have a new 2010 Vivid Black FLHTCU with ABS and Security that I was going to pickup last weekend. Last Thursday the dealer called me up as I was scheduled to pick up the bike on Friday night and he told me about the recall. He said he could not release the bike until the recall was installed. The parts will not arrive until next week so I had to postpone the pick up for 2 weeks. Talk about a long 2 weeks!

Old 12-11-2009, 09:31 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Eh, guess I'd better look into it. Have not recieved anything from the MO CO or dealer

Old 12-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Tao3535
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I traded in my Ultra a few months back and dodged that recall..

Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 PM
bradja
Cruiser

My mom called when she saw this on the news. I checked with my service rep today and he said yes. I have my 09 RK stored at the dealer (wanted that garage space for a car). He said they'd take care of it over the winter.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:18 PM
treefiddy
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Wonder if the recall applies in Canada??

Old 12-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm thinking that those who typically don't wear a helmet don't really need to worry about the whole gas tank leak in a crash thing.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:59 AM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"

In 2009, Harley-Davidson touring models were redesigned with a new chassis that was intended to improve comfort, maneuverability, and heat management. Seven Touring models were affected. The design combined a new frame, swingarm, exhaust and engine mounting.

On 5/28/09, Harley-Davidson noted the presence of sheet metal tears in the fuel tank tunnel adjacent to a weld attaching the front fuel tank mounts to the tank itself. The damage was observed after a 30 mph, 90-degree impact test with a 2010 FLHTK.

The following month, Harley-Davidson analyzed three similar vehicles that had been barrier crash tested. The crash reports on these three samples did not indicate any fuel leakage, but the damage to the tanks was similar to that observed on the 5/28/09 test. According to Harley-Davidson, “The failure mode observed was a buckling of the front mounting brackets in a direction that is trying to tear the bracket away from the fuel tank tunnel in the area of the weld.”

Harley-Davidson engineers continued to investigate, developing models and bench tests that showed frame distortion resulting from a collision as the causative factor. Through early November, the company studied the correlation between the 90-degree barrier test and real world performance. They found no instances of fire, injury, or fatalities resulting from such a collision.

On November 19, 2009, Harley-Davidson’s executive management determined that a safety related defect existed on this class of motorcycle and declared a recall to remedy the issue.

It could not have been an easy decision. A third-quarter drop of 84% in profits and the recent demise of the Buell motorcycle line point to a company that needs more than ever to track every nickel and dime. Did Harley have to do this?

The limited parameters involved in the crash and the poor expectations of survivability for the rider have called into question Harley-Davidson’s decision. Was it really a safety issue, or were there political considerations at play?

According to a study by the University of Southern California in 2006, the average (median) speed of a motorcycle crash at impact is 21.5 mph, while the median pre-crash speed is 29.8 mph. So a 30 mph frontal collision is a realistic condition. A rider sitting atop a motorcycle that abruptly stops at this speed will continue on the original path of travel at about the same speed as his motorcycle had attained prior to the crash.

If that rider encounters an immovable barrier (such as a car) and decelerates instantaneously, the effect will probably NOT be survivable.

But anyone who has ever watched a motocross event will tell you that a 30 mph crash is decidedly survivable. If the driver hits the ground at 30 mph (not a tree or another car), he will roll and slide to a stop. With a helmet, his odds of living through the crash are quite high. The odds of walking away, however, are very low. Add to this scenario a leaking fuel tank and a source of heat and sparks, and it’s easy to see the ingredients for a tragedy.

Consider also the crash where the rider lays his bike down and slides to a stop. It's easy to imagine a situation where the bike slides ahead of the rider's body and impacts a tree or a boulder, opening the gas tank. The injured rider then slides into his own flaming wreckage. Except for the flames, an otherwise survivable situation.

Harley-Davidson executives did not have such a difficult decision to make, after all.

Last edited by Roosterboots; 12-12-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 111,000 Touring models recalled