General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike building book reccommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:40 AM
NotSoStandard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike building book reccommendations

Can anyone reccommend a good book to start learning what is involved in building a bike from the ground up? This is something I would love to have a shot at, but I want to have a very good feel for what is involved before jumping in with both feet.

I have done a fair amount of work on my Softail Standard, and of course all my own servicing, but I am sure it will be a big step from tinkering on a stock bike to a build from the bare frame. I will probably need to learn new skills, but that will be half the fun.

I have seen a couple of possibilities on amazon,
How to Build a Bobber on a Budget
by Jose De Miguel

and
How to Build an Old Skool Bobber
by Kevin Baas

Anybody read these? or any other ideas?

Old 12-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both of those. They were not worth the money spent, in my opinion. I didn't learn a single thing from them that I already didn't know. I've built a few bikes and I learned by buying a basket case, getting a manual and got to work building what I wanted out of what I had. I had no help from books but did pick the brains of 2 local indy owners. I spent money in their shops and thye told me of insights, shortcuts and "how to". The best way to build a bike (in my opinion) is to buy a "titled" harley basket case, frame or engine to start with. Pre 1970 HD's were titled to the engine, '70 and later titled to the frame. If the final product has a Harley title it will ALWAYS be worth WAY more than anything else you could do. Buy one (engine or frame with title) and add the other that is compatable (if you didn't get both with a basket case). Add the trans for your setup and the rest is simple enough. Many times you can get all 3 together with a title, all in good shape for a few $$

Last edited by Blue SOG; 12-09-2009 at 06:56 AM.