General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STURGIS - How many of the forum go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:11 AM
fatbob123
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STURGIS - How many of the forum go?

Just wondering how many of you guys go to Sturgis -Is it worth while - Suppose hotels are booked out years in advance?

Last edited by fatbob123; 12-08-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM
M2hunter
Cruiser

I've been the last 6 years in a row. Is it worth while? If you want to see the biggest biker rally in the world and ride in some of the best country in America, then yeah it's worth while. At least one time to say you've done Sturgis.

Camping is the only way to do it. IMO

Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't been yet during the rally but have been there a week before. When I do go I'd like to go ahead of time and get my riding in before the crowds arrive, hit the rally for a couple of days and then head home.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went last year for the first time and am booked to go again in 2010. I think after this year I'll probably take a break and do some other trips to Colorado and out west like I have always wanted to do.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:52 AM
utahdyna
Advanced

we went for the first time for 09. Like others have said, go once at least cause it is something to see. Honestly the riding was OK, but we live in Utah and have some of the best riding in our state and surrounding states so I guess that is subjective.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Pappy 05 Heritage
Tourer

This year was my first time at Sturgis and I absolutely love it. Wife and I went with two other couples and we rented a house. We do plan on going again next year (2010).

Old 12-08-2009, 11:08 AM
jdallenemtp
Road Captain

Already made plans for 2010, check out the Full Throttle Saloon, still has cabins available with payment plans and get this no interest!!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:13 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Missed last year for the first time in quite a while. It's definitely an event that you ought to see. I really love the HD display at the Convention Center in Rapid City where the show all the next years models, gear, accessories, etc. They also have a huge sale with last years stuff. Don't ever go without your raingear, cause I've only been twice that I didn't get drenched. Most years you can plan on getting wet.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Went last year. I made the decision about 3 weeks before the start of the rally. Had a great ride out, great time there and great ride back. Went solo and met lots of good people.

Hotel wasn't an issue. Checked for rooms and there were places available all over, they weren't cheap, but they were available. I stayed in Rapid City and rode everywhere else.

Is it worthwhile? Was for me. I will go again, although I don't think I would make it a "must do" every year. Lots of other country to see.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:16 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I went for the first time this year. Been to Laconia several times so to me, a bike week is a bike week. I really went for the ride which was great. My advice, like others, is go at least once so you can say been there done that, BUT I would not camp again. weather is too unpredicatable. there was a real bad hail storm and from what I heard, alot of bikes, cars, etc. got trashed. we were fortunate to be out riding and missed it, but came back to a trashed camp and saw some of the damage. get a cabin, motel, whatever. you'll be more comfortable and safer and you won't have to haul all the camp stuff with you.

Quick Reply: STURGIS - How many of the forum go?