Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What drives a biker to become 1%

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:48 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's easy. Women.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,335 Likes on 8,405 Posts

To loot, rape, and pillage. Got a problem with that???

Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would venture to guess that a good majority of Outlaw motorcycle gang/club members have had a run-in with the law more than once. Not to say that is the only cause but It would naturally create a dislike, hatred and rebellion against law enforcement. There are those that have not had a very productive life along with a not so good home life during their adolescence and are attracted to the lure of lawlessness. I'm sure there are several factor than contribute and you would get different views from different people. In this day and time there's not always a clear or logical explanation why people do what they do.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:18 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,129 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
To loot, rape, and pillage. Got a problem with that???
It works for me!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:38 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,335 Likes on 8,405 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
It works for me!
That's funny right there!!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:42 PM
HD 472
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight2005
If you are not trying to offend anyone, pay more attention to what you say. Just because you are 1% and you wear a patch does not make you a crook. You may never understand mc's. It's one of those things "If I gotta explain....."
And a patch don't make you a 1%er... There are mc clubs everywhere, they are not 1%ers...Just people doing what they love......comradery is the main reason

Old 12-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo60
I think if you skin back the layers you will find that folks become 1%ers for the same reasons that other people join other types of groups. It could be anything from fraternal organzations.....

....People are drawn to groups where they can associate with like-minded people and share common interests it's just human nature. Then when you get into the actual philosophy of an M/C you see the family-type aspects of brotherhood and loyalty (which some people are looking for). Then there is the common interest in motorcycles, not mention that most clubs have a pretty long history and a strong sense of tradition.
Good point.

My assumption is you've never been in the military. I know when I left the Army after many, many years, I missed the camaraderie, the sense of brotherhood between members. And to be truthful, if any of those guys that I served with ever needed help, I'd probably drop everything and do what I could to help them. It would be nice to have that kind of bond again. And to be truthful, I sometimes toy with the idea of prospecting with one of the local MC's in the area. But I'm just too old and don't think I could put up with the bylaws/rules at my age. Hate people telling me what I can and can't do nowadays.

Your opinion that all 1%'s are criminals is a misconception. You get a whole bunch of people together, there are bound to be a few bad eggs in the bunch. Same goes for the military. I've served with some of the biggest thieves (low enough to steal your wet laundry, or soap if you leave it in the bathroom), dopers, and malcontents known to man. It's not for everyone. But for some, it's the tie that binds.

Good luck trying to noodle the question out.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:11 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight2005
If you are not trying to offend anyone, pay more attention to what you say. Just because you are 1% and you wear a patch does not make you a crook. You may never understand mc's. It's one of those things "If I gotta explain....."
+1 very true... not reading the whole thread before I was compelled to 'jump in'. Just because you wear a patch does not mean you are a criminal or involved in criminal activities. I know alot more 1%ers these days that are family guys and hold down an 8-5 job than I know full time outlaws. Now that does not mean they are not out there. And if we we are talking about when I was coming up in the scene/community, then ya sure, it was more oulaw than not. But in broaching this topic you may want to step out a little lighter / more respectful - just saying

Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
wharfrat1959
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really? did you just say all this? if we were speaking in person somewhere or in a group, i could take offense to much of this.
Originally Posted by bikes
I would venture to guess that a good majority of Outlaw motorcycle gang/club members have had a run-in with the law more than once. Not to say that is the only cause but It would naturally create a dislike, hatred and rebellion against law enforcement.
I have had a run-in with the law more than once. every one of those traffic tickets was my fault. sometimes i was hassled a bit beyond what one would have expected. but most of my dealings with LEOs has been enough for me to know that the majority of them are interested in protecting and serving the rest of us.
Originally Posted by bikes
There are those that have not had a very productive life...
by whose standards? i'm a fifty year old guy that works as a warehouse manager. i don't make much money, but i pay my bills and taxes, i have raised two daughters that are not unwed mothers or on drugs and i will celebrate my 26th wedding anniversary on Dec 31st. i have a spiritual life as a Christian that brings me peace - what more is there? but some would (and do) classify my life as wasted potential or unproductive...
the 1%ers i have had a chance to hang out with seemed just like most people i have met - give respect to get respect and let me chase what i want, you can do the same.

but since we aren't speaking in person, i won't take offense

Old 12-07-2009, 02:41 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wharfrat1959
Really? did you just say all this? if we were speaking in person somewhere or in a group, i could take offense to much of this.
I have had a run-in with the law more than once. every one of those traffic tickets was my fault. sometimes i was hassled a bit beyond what one would have expected. but most of my dealings with LEOs has been enough for me to know that the majority of them are interested in protecting and serving the rest of us.

by whose standards? i'm a fifty year old guy that works as a warehouse manager. i don't make much money, but i pay my bills and taxes, i have raised two daughters that are not unwed mothers or on drugs and i will celebrate my 26th wedding anniversary on Dec 31st. i have a spiritual life as a Christian that brings me peace - what more is there? but some would (and do) classify my life as wasted potential or unproductive...
the 1%ers i have had a chance to hang out with seemed just like most people i have met - give respect to get respect and let me chase what i want, you can do the same.

but since we aren't speaking in person, i won't take offense
i dont get it...are you a 1%er? if youre not...i dont see why you'd take offense.

all bikes was saying is maybe a bad run-in with the law (be it by the fault of the biker or the fault of the LEO) could be the reason some people turn to the outlaw MC lifestyle...

more rebelliousness and less rules. stop me if i'm getting it wrong bikes.

Quick Reply: What drives a biker to become 1%