General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the coldest temp youve rode in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:41 PM
wildbill118
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

21 degrees when I rolled out the garage. Rode 200 miles in my brand new Gerbing gloves, jacket liner, pants liner and boot inserts. Light shirt, jeans and no chaps, put my leather jacket on but had to open the collar a bit. I'll ride anytime now unless there is ice.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:55 PM
packfanmike
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

28 in the panhandle of Florida, it's a lot more fun when it's above 60.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:00 PM
juscoop
Tourer

Tomahawk Wi it was 14 one morning we woke up and rode to town from Bubbas to take showers. Thant was freakin cold

Old 03-25-2010, 09:08 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
If you are dressed for it
....... middle 20's are fine. If the road's dry, I'll ride.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:17 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the winter I ride my dirt bikes. It's always pretty cold.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 PM
PUBA ONE
Tourer

Minus 4 degrees C

Old 03-25-2010, 11:06 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

We went out one day for a ride through the Pocano mountains in PA. 20 degrees. I wear a heated jacket liner, heated pants liner, Walls blizzard proof bib overalls and a Tourmaster 3/4 length jacket, heated gloves and full face helmet. I had to turn the thermostat down on the heated clothes, I was getting too hot. As long as the roads are snow and ice free I'll ride. After buying heated gear I don't know how I ever rode without it.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
We went out one day for a ride through the Pocano mountains in PA. 20 degrees. I wear a heated jacket liner, heated pants liner, Walls blizzard proof bib overalls and a Tourmaster 3/4 length jacket, heated gloves and full face helmet. I had to turn the thermostat down on the heated clothes, I was getting too hot. As long as the roads are snow and ice free I'll ride. After buying heated gear I don't know how I ever rode without it.
I've had heated gear for years....rarely use it. Had it, and other people's heated gear crap out in 15 F weather far from home. A decent windshell (leathers) and polypropylene underwear, synthetic pile jacket, and ice-climbing over-mits (thin cordura mittens over heavy leather gloves) work just fine. Throw on a down vest under your jacket and you can ride even colder. Don't know how many times I've had to loan my extra winter gear, out on the road, to somebody whose Gerbing or Widder (now defunct) heated clothing crapped out because of blown fuses, busted connectors, or fubar controllers.....or their dead batteries because they added a sh*tload of highway lights and other gimcrack/geegaw crap to the bike's over-stressed electrical system.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have ridden short distances in the teens and more times than I can count in the 20's. But by far the coldest ride I have taken is when my brother were at the Spring race at Talladega a few years ago and there was a cold snap. It was 41 when we left Birmingham and the clouds rolled in as the temps dropped into the mid-30's with strong crosswinds as we made our way north. Fifteen hours of hanging on and shivering - a miserable day, but at least we have a story to tell.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:01 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by krusty1
I've had heated gear for years....rarely use it. Had it, and other people's heated gear crap out in 15 F weather far from home. A decent windshell (leathers) and polypropylene underwear, synthetic pile jacket, and ice-climbing over-mits (thin cordura mittens over heavy leather gloves) work just fine. Throw on a down vest under your jacket and you can ride even colder. Don't know how many times I've had to loan my extra winter gear, out on the road, to somebody whose Gerbing or Widder (now defunct) heated clothing crapped out because of blown fuses, busted connectors, or fubar controllers.....or their dead batteries because they added a sh*tload of highway lights and other gimcrack/geegaw crap to the bike's over-stressed electrical system.
Krusty, The heated gear I have is the stuff harley sells. I've used it a lot. Being an auto mechanic I was really sceptical of it (especcially the jacket and pants liners costing $220 each). I've dealt with heated seats in cars for years. Those seat grids work for about 2 years then the wiring craps out. So far the heated clothes have worked.

I hate the cold, I don't do well in cold weather. It could be 100 degrees everyday and that would be fine with me. For me personally, the heated liners make the difference of having a nice enjoyable ride as opposed to being miserable. I keep the jacket liner in the saddlebag of my RoadKing. I've used it many times in Laconia when we took a ride out during the day and had to come back to our hotel at night after the temp dropped 30 degrees. The battery in the RoadKing is almost as big as a car battery, it can handle the extra load.

If those liners ever fail, I'll stop by the nearest Harley dealer and buy another one. My one buddy is like a polar bear, doesn't matter how cold it gets. He just puts on his leather, insulated gauntlet gloves and a face protector and he's good to go. I envy him, I wish I could deal with the cold like that.

Quick Reply: Whats the coldest temp youve rode in?