General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED accent lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:31 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Personally I like leds too. I actually bought a set and had them on my workbench, mentioned it one day to some buddies and they all scoffed and said leds were gay. sheesh. You just can't win sometimes.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:00 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pleasants9
Thanks for all the replys. Yeah im definitly set on getting them, I havn't done any sort of upgrade work to my bike in a long time and im getting the itching feeling to do something. I have a good amount of chrome on the engine and drivetrain and thought it would be nice to have a simple on/off switch for the whole system and run it down the bike. I know I dont want to spend the money on somethign that does every color. The pain theme on on bike is mostly purple so I was thinking either straight purple lights or dark blue. Im mostly unsure as to what LED kit/system to purchase. Id love to see some photos of peoples bikes with the LED's on if you have one handy
You may want to do some homework before you decide upon a color! Some states restrict the colors blue & red to emergency vehicles only!

Of the 9 different colors offered by Joe Florida, the color purple had the lowest MCD rating (5,000 MCD) were white is 20,000 MCD and green is 15,000 MCD! This may vary from manufacture to manufacture but something to consider!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:17 AM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO the glo lights should be left to the "mini truck" and ricers crowd.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

My experience is that everyone calls them gay lights, except people who have them.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Funnygirl
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
My experience is that everyone calls them gay lights, except people who have them.
Well of course people like to talk trash about other folks' stuff...

The mantra on this site seems to usually be "Do what you like & don't worry about what other people think!"

I say go for it!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

you just have to be careful where you put them..a buddy has some under his tank and they have more than once fallen down onto his rockerboxes cause the heat seems to melt the adhesive that keeps them attached to the tank...what a mess...

Old 12-04-2009, 10:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Got the ones at our dealer for X-mas two yrs ago.... only light up the motor area...
don't ride at night much, so don't use them very often...

Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

A cheap easy way to do it is to buy the low profile 50 cm, 30 Led stick on strips off ebay in the gay color of your choice. They come from china so be patient, they will arrive after about 2 weeks. These are long enough to go under any tank and can be cut to correct length. Clean the surface to be stuck thoroughly and put some dabs of clear RTV silicone over both ends and the middle where it won't cover up any LED's. That keeps the strips from ever falling down. If you're slick with a soldering gun you can attach wires to the pieces you cut off and use them somewhere else. I put the leftover strips under the rear fender struts. Total about $20-25 for 2 undertank strips, another $7 for the switch and fuse kit, again from ebay. Electropods also makes an led accent light distribution module and fuse/switch kit for about $14. Cheap and easy either way you do it. Of course it's still gonna look gay but what do you care, your bike now has some positively gorgeous led accent lights on it!!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:01 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got blue LEDs on mine. Thought since it was originally a police bike, it almost had to have the blue flashin lights...

One 9 spot strip under right side of tank, one 6 spot pod under A/C and another on other side of tank. Four single spot pods under each saddle bag attachment bracket.

If you think my bike looks gay, (I really don't care), then I think your perception sucks ***...

Old 12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Funnygirl
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CroK
If you think my bike looks gay, (I really don't care), then I think your perception sucks ***...
I don't care either!
I want purple ones!

Quick Reply: LED accent lights