Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batt. Tender- to use or not to use, that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:08 AM
dlnp22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batt. Tender- to use or not to use, that is the question.

Ok, I'm in Nashville area- not too freezing, but doesn't stay warm either through the winter

I do NOT have a garage, working on that one!

I keep it outside, with a heavy blanket wrapped around the tank enging- which likely isn't doing squat, but I'd love to think it is , plus a bike cover over it.

Got my heated gear and ready to rock and roll through the season. I'll be able to probably get it out once, maybe twice a week. Two 35 mile trips each way, each of the two days.

Do I need to put it on a tender, or will those runs keep a decent charge?

Reason I ask- It's impossible for me to run an extension cord out to the bike, due to the townhomes I'm living in, and the spot the bike is parked at. And it'd be a huge pain in the rear, to have to pull the battery in/out a few times a week(but will do it if it's in the best interest of my baby!)

Thanks in advance, all!

First winter not having a garage to park her in- never used a tender before.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:13 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

yes....buy one.
Best investment you can make for yer bike

Old 12-03-2009, 09:14 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

I live in the Arizona mountains. It does get chilly but only for a month or so and I always have a tender on mine summer and winter when it's going to be parked for more than a day or two.
I am on the road about 9 1/2 months out of the year so my bike does sit allot! It is an 05 and still has the original battery in it and spins the starter just fine every time I hit the button.

I'd use it. it might help but for sure it can't hurt.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:14 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Ditch the blanket and just use the cover. It can trap moisture should your temps fluctuate. I would use the tender as you may not get out like you want to and the trips are shorter ones.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:17 AM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have posted this before but it works for me. I store my bike in a mini-storage warehouse. When I leave my bike i remove the battery and put it under the hood of my chevy truck. I run a small guage wire from + to + and - to - from my truck battery to my bike battery. There is room to set the bike battery beside my truck battery and bungi cord them together. It stays charged. I have it with me all the time i'm with my truck. I have done this since 2003 with the same battery. never a problem.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:17 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Storing a bike outside in the winter, covered or not, should be of more concern to your "baby" than a battery tender. Your battery will be fine if you ride it twice a week as stated. After your ride, let the bike sit for a couple of hours to cool down completely before you cover it. This should help prevent condensation from forming under the cover, which will do more long term damage than anything else.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:24 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never used my tender unless the bike will sit more than a couple of weeks and have never had an issue. I think you will be fine, having to run a cord out into a parking lot would not be worth the hassel to me if I rode weekly. I agree with k&j and would worry more about condensation and rust.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:32 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I use battery tenders year around on my bikes..

They keep your battery in peak condition during the summer, as well as the cold winter months.

For what it's worth, the batteries in my bikes last anywhere between 5 to 7 years.

Does the battery tender help to extend the life of your battery? Some say yes, some say no, but I'll continue to use them during all weather conditions.

Plus with the battery harness available it's a snap to 'plug and unplug' the bettery tender, take all of 5 seconds. Not like back in the old days where you had to remove the seat every time you wanted to hook up a charger/tender.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
Storing a bike outside in the winter, covered or not, should be of more concern to your "baby" than a battery tender. Your battery will be fine if you ride it twice a week as stated. After your ride, let the bike sit for a couple of hours to cool down completely before you cover it. This should help prevent condensation from forming under the cover, which will do more long term damage than anything else.
Very very good advice!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
+2 - Good advice.

Since the OP stated that he cannot get power (extension cord) to where the bike is parked and can ride a couple of times a week, recommending a Battery Tender seems pointless.

Quick Reply: Batt. Tender- to use or not to use, that is the question.