Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batt. Tender- to use or not to use, that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:06 PM
dlnp22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Even more pointless to ask about the battery tender if you don't have power for it.
really? Because my seat DOES come off of the bike.....

I'd prefer NOT to if I don't have to, but I COULD take the battery to the power, instead of vice versa. That was the point of the original post.

But thanks for the advice.

Last edited by dlnp22; 12-03-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:07 PM
dlnp22
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99octane
Provided you manage to find a connection, definitely buy one.
One thing, though: not all batteries are equal.
Lead calcium batteries, lead-gel batteries and AGM batteries require different reload and float cycles.
The wrong battery tender can spoil your high performance battery.
If you have one of the high end AGM batteries like Spark or Odyssey, definitely buy a tender specifically designed for such batteries.
Harley...sealed gel. Any recommendations?

edit: assuming they're ALL sealed/gel

Last edited by dlnp22; 12-03-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:21 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I leave mine plugged in 24-7, when ever bikes not in use!

Old 12-03-2009, 03:37 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
yes....buy one.
Best investment you can make for yer bike
Been using them since they first came out.Will double the life of your batteries.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:36 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use it. They are great. One little thing though. Even though they don't overcharge the battery like a trickle charger, if you don't have a sealed battery, keep an eye on the electrolyte level.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my Battery Tender whenever I'm not riding, if you can't run an extension lead, I'd pull the battery and store indoors with the tender on it.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:34 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the tender. Bad things happen in batteries that sit for a long time without getting a charge....and they actually happen faster in warm weather than cold...though the first cold weather start (with oil thickened by the cold) is when the trouble is first discovered.

I have battery tenders on all my bikes....with the harness you can even rotate the charger from bike to bike. I've got a 99 Honda Valkyrie (with a big 6 cyclinder engine) and a 2002 battery that is still going strong.....and I've had other batteries of similar quality that crapped out in a year....because of no charging.

Of course, if you store your bike outside in the weather (even under a cover that traps water) battery health will eventually be the least of your problems. I cover my bikes in the garage, but only with cotton sheets to keep the dust off...you don't want moisture to accumulate.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:43 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,031 Likes on 5,303 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
I use battery tenders year around on my bikes..

They keep your battery in peak condition during the summer, as well as the cold winter months.

For what it's worth, the batteries in my bikes last anywhere between 5 to 7 years.

Does the battery tender help to extend the life of your battery? Some say yes, some say no, but I'll continue to use them during all weather conditions.

Plus with the battery harness available it's a snap to 'plug and unplug' the bettery tender, take all of 5 seconds. Not like back in the old days where you had to remove the seat every time you wanted to hook up a charger/tender.
+1 Use one all year-round. It's plugged in right next to where I park the bike in the garage. Never had a problem. Nonetheless, I buy a new battery every 4 years. If you park outside, I'd use one. What do you have to lose?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 931 Likes on 573 Posts

I don't care if you live in Florida. If you want a motor cycle battery to last eight years or more here is how. Get the $20 Schumaker 1.5 amp tender at Wal-Mart. Install the lead and plug it in. When you leave unplug. When you return plug it back in.

I had a VTX1800 with a 01 build date that had the original battery. It was at full power when I sold the bike earlier this year.

I collect cars and bikes. Currently I have five vehicles on tenders and three motorcycles. I have had many that aren't driven for 5-6 months. I have never had a battery problem period.

Tenders are the most useful when used every day not just when stored.

A mc battery should never be charged more than 1.5 amps to get the maximum life. Any battery will last longer when it is slow charged over fast charging.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:33 PM
ryan06
Tourer

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

I used to plug in my battery tender every couple of weeks, or so, but I noticed that it would only charge for a few minutes and then shut off, fully charged. now I plug it in about twice a winter, and it only charges about 8 minutes before it shuts off. I don't think it is as necessary as most people think, and my batteries last about 7-8 years too.

Quick Reply: Batt. Tender- to use or not to use, that is the question.