Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my riding buddy full of it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 09:09 PM
TRITON
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my riding buddy full of it?

OK, first the story.

My riding buddy says he pulled his bike (2003 DWG) out in his driveway that has a slight downhill slope. Started his bike to let it warm up and went into the house to grab his garage door remote. While he was in the house he heard a crash and ran out to find his bike laying on it's side. Luckily it landed on the "cheap" side, but still about $250 worth of replacement parts. He swears up and dow that the jiffy stand was fully extended and the bike was stable when he left it. I want to call him on it, but need more info. before I start the ribbing.

Now the question.

Aren't the jiffy stands on HD's supposed to be locking to prevent just this type accident? Has anyone else had this happen? If so, how much of a slope is too much? I park mine in my drive with a slight slope all the time, should I be worried?

Old 07-13-2006, 09:23 PM
springerGT
Road Master
Default RE: Is my riding buddy full of it?

Don't leave your bike while its still running.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:27 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

WEll mine does, but I've never tested it by letting it run while on jiffy stand and on a slope with me aways from it.

I did have to catch her once when I thought the jiffy was fully deployed. (I was on it so no big deal) Now when I extend the jiffy I give it an extra tap with the toe of my boot.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:28 PM
eazy
Road Warrior

I have a friend that had his Ultra fall over twice. After examination of the situation the second time, the only thing that we could come up with is that the jiffy didn't slide out enough to lock the stand. I know most of the air-cooled engage on the top -mine engages on the bottom, so it had to slide farther- but it still has to slide a little.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:29 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Supposedly, Harley is the ONLY bike with a locking stand. My guess is that it wasn't all the way out.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:35 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't trust my expensive Harley on the ability of my jiffy stand to lock into place and not move. Also, leaving it running while sitting on a downhill slant doesn't sound that safe to begin with.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:35 PM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd never leave mine like that. Always put down the stand, make sure it's in gear and pull back on the bike to make sure the kick stand is secure before I get off.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 07-13-2006, 09:52 PM
BluRooster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stand was probably in place, but a harley vibrates a lot. Having in on a slope doesn't help. My driveways fairly steep and I can watch my bike move down the driveway if I leave it running. Makes me nervous and I'm right there putting on gloves or my helmet. I always move it into the street if I'm going to warm it up and leave it running for a few minutes.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:10 PM
TRITON
Road Master

Thanks for the quick response fellas. Almost time to punch out for the day, but I think you have given enough info for me to throw the BS flag. Or at least the "that wasn't very smart thing to do, was it" flag.....GAME ON. (He is my bud after all and he is gonna take some ribbin even though it sucks).

Old 07-13-2006, 10:17 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

I have never left my running and walked away too far a distance.

Quick Reply: Is my riding buddy full of it?