General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first long trip - Maine to Florida

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:19 PM
HeavyMetal
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first long trip - Maine to Florida

1700+ miles in 39 hours. I started out with the duffel bags on top, and the bike was top heavy as hell. Before I even got on the interstate, I noticed that one of my bags was coming untied. I pulled over on the side of the road to readjust it, when BLAM, my damn bike fell over. Riding down the road it would look like I got in an accident, but do you think anyone would stop for the long haired biker dude? Finally 2 construction workers helped me get it back up, I readjusted it, and off I went. Being full of **** and vinegar, I shot for 900 miles on day one. LOL, I only made it 450. Came through the Bronxe and the George Washington bridge at 5:15, not a good thing when you're riding a bike loaded down. Got completely lost in Jersey, finally some guy on a custom chopper had me follow him to the turnpike, and off I went. 15 hours day 1, 13 hours day 2, and 11 hours on day 3. I completely fried my shoulder and neck, reading on here, I guess that happens with RK handlebars. It might have been different if I had done this 20 years ago, but at 44, you start to feel muscles you forgot you had. I always envied guys before I had a bike who said they rode halfway accross the country. I can now say I've done it, but I'll tell ya one thing, I'll probably never do it again!

Attached Thumbnails My first long trip - Maine to Florida-uhual.jpg  
Old 12-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats...

I keep telling myself I want to do a trip to Sturgis (from NJ), then I ask myself, Am I friggin nuts?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,256 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Damnit Son!!!! Good for you that you did it. I'm still laughing after seeing that picture. It reminds me of the way Ole Jed packed up his truck on the old Beverly Hillbillies TV show.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:48 PM
cmcelrod
Cruiser
Default cross country

I did Sturgis in 05 then down to New Mexico 6000 miles total in 3 weeks, hurt like hell. In 06, 1996 miles from my doorstep, on the second trip rode 1600 miles in 2 days, all the way to the badlands. its all about how comfortable your seat and handlebars are. The first trip I my shoulders were black and blue, the second trip no issues at all with a seat change and handlebar risers, higher is better as far as I am concerned

Old 12-01-2009, 03:56 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

LMAO, the only thing missing is grandma in a rocking chair on top. Congrats on making it there in one piece.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are you hauling all that stuff ?

That truck at the start of the movie Australia heading cross continent to the ranch has nothing on you.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:17 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm taking a wild guess here, but I think you EXCEEDED the MoCo recommendations for weight. Man, you are seriously loaded down. That trip shouldn't have been too bad. The key is take the two laners, see the country, and take your time. You're a better man for doing it, but don't say you won't do it again. In the middle of this winter, you're going to be thinking about your next big trip. But Geez, you need to take the course on "How to pack a bike" LoL, and reduce some of that baggage. I've been from New Jersey to Ca and back to Washington D.C., and from DC to New Hampshire, and down to Daytona. I don't think I took that much on all my trips combined. Seriously, you know you took too much crap. Or did you have your wife/GF/significant other on there too? Then that would explain the whole thing.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Wow... You took git 'er done way too seriously... That was one hell of a ride. where is the kitchen sink?

Old 12-01-2009, 04:30 PM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn Sam, are you running away from home?

Old 12-01-2009, 04:46 PM
njdiver
Road Captain

How long did you go for, 2 years, man you do need to learn to back "light". Your right it's all about the seat & handle bar location. I just did NJ to Florida, best day was 600 miles, just stopping for gas and a snack and didn't feel any fatique.

Can't wait for my next trip, it's all about enjoying the ride and seeing the country, don't rush it it's no fun then.

Quick Reply: My first long trip - Maine to Florida