General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first long trip - Maine to Florida

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
1700+ miles in 39 hours. I started out with the duffel bags on top, and the bike was top heavy as hell. Before I even got on the interstate, I noticed that one of my bags was coming untied. I pulled over on the side of the road to readjust it, when BLAM, my damn bike fell over. Riding down the road it would look like I got in an accident, but do you think anyone would stop for the long haired biker dude? Finally 2 construction workers helped me get it back up, I readjusted it, and off I went. Being full of **** and vinegar, I shot for 900 miles on day one. LOL, I only made it 450. Came through the Bronxe and the George Washington bridge at 5:15, not a good thing when you're riding a bike loaded down. Got completely lost in Jersey, finally some guy on a custom chopper had me follow him to the turnpike, and off I went. 15 hours day 1, 13 hours day 2, and 11 hours on day 3. I completely fried my shoulder and neck, reading on here, I guess that happens with RK handlebars. It might have been different if I had done this 20 years ago, but at 44, you start to feel muscles you forgot you had. I always envied guys before I had a bike who said they rode halfway accross the country. I can now say I've done it, but I'll tell ya one thing, I'll probably never do it again!
Thats exactly how its supposed to go. "Its always an adventure" is what my uncle GoGo told me for many years before he took me out on my first haul. He broke me in w/ 3000 mi.! Honestly I coulda turned around and did again no problem. GoGo spent 1.5 hrs at 7:30 in the morning drilling and tapping my inspection plate where I snapped a hex head bolt that morning. I had just done my fluids like 2 days before and thought i was AOK but came out that morning and seen a little dribbled ,, Snap! Bike was running w/ the bags on it! Turns out the inspection plate was bent a little thats why I had been haveing to torque them down so tight every service. He was able to straighten it and get us on the slab pretty quickly though. So that was by 10 AM.

First stop was in Indiana. I pull up to the pump ,, jump off and see oil splatter soaked ALLLLLL the way down the right side of my bike! Looked like the case cracked or something. At first glance it looked like was done. GoGo looks at it and determines that I smashed the rubber gasket on my oil cooler when I was tightening my oil filter. Held up puttin around for 2 days but not on the slab! So I'm trippin out! He played it real cool and knew exactly where a dealer was. "we're just gonna take it down there and have them take this cooler off." So thats what we did,, dealer was cool. Service guy knew exactly what i did before I finished explaining . See's it all the time w/ the older style HD cooler. So much that he was out of the gasket so he did indeed just remove the cooler. They cleaned up my parts bagged them and put them in my saddle bag. Than they pretty much detailed my bike out ,,, $65.00. But we were there for a little over 4 hrs!!!!!!! Needless to say i bought ALL the beers that night. Matter of fact i felt so bad I paid for dinner the first 2 nights also.

That was day 1 !!!!!!!!!

Had a semi hauling a house pass us. We were doing 80 I **** you not. Gets about 30' in front of us and POW! You ever heard a tire blow? Sounds like somebody just stuck a 45 in yer ear and pulled the trigger. I seen it ,, than i heard it plaster my bike bfore i could even process it. It all happened that fast. I'm glad,, cause i didnt have time to swerve and lay it down or something. But it took a chunk out of my chest and broke a bolt on my tail light bar. Bill had a bungee so i strapped it up until me got to a room that night than I took his bike down to a little HW store and fixed it in the hotel parking lot. That was like day 5?

Had big *** bird like about 10 lbs ,, come right out of a tree swoop down and crash smack into my frickin head light assembly. I saw it ,, though to myself noway he didnt hit. Than right about that second here he comes like right under my shield, hits my gas tank and blows right in my lap! Dead as a doornail of course! So i literally picked him up by his leg and tossed him. This was at 80 mph to of course. I swear that bird was on a suicide mission. I was like WTF?

Some good times out on the road man. Good Good Good times.

If your lost,, broke down ,, tired what not. Its still better than being at home w/ work tomorrow! No that i have done it a few times,,, I try to remember that while I am "on my adventure".

I could write pages .... I know exactly how i would spend every single breathing second of my life if I ever won the lottery.

Anyhow man the moral of my story is,,, you sound pretty good at it. It would be crazy if you never done it again.

P.S. Like everybody else said ,, dont take so much stuff. I fill 1 saddlebag and I have 1 tour bag that goes on my luggage rack... and thats it! Still like 5- 6 days of clothes?

Last edited by Seascape; 12-01-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Dang, dude! Were you moving to Florida?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
Dang, dude! Were you moving to Florida?
+1......bike looked like a small "U-Haul"!!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! Thats a loaded bike!
May I suggest that next time you may want to concider shipping some of your bagage?
Glad all went well and that you had a safe journey.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

Yes, UPS can be tour friend both ways on a long trip, especially 2-up.

You can also take some of your old thread bare clothing on a one way trip. I try to take this approach with my wife, telling her she has to jettison something to make room for new purchases. She usually wind up with a souvenir and I with something missing.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 AM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Is that a porta-potty on the left side ?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Must have been one heck of a ride.
I'm 27 and don't think I could handle riding 15hrs in one day.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:55 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!

How many times did Leo pull you over and give you a ticket for exceeding the load limit on half the bridges you crossed? Man that look dangerous. Glad you made it home in one piece.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:19 PM
karaokeman
Road Captain

you needed to read some posts on "what to pack "... A SUITCASE ? lol
You should've hooked up a trailer with all that cargo !!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:49 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks like you don't believe the old saying
"You can't take it with you."

Quick Reply: My first long trip - Maine to Florida